Losing oil pressure after intake gasket replacement!

Well, after getting the intake gaskets done on the truck (they were leaking some antifreeze on to the outside), I have put 100 kms on it and now the oil pressure drops in half, and I notice it pinging and knocking, so check the oil and it seems really dirty already and smells of gas. I changed oil and filter and I am sending a sample in to the lab to see what exactly is in it, and am not driving it until I find out what's going on.

The mechanic blew my mind when I discussed this with him, he said the same thing happened to someone else's truck......he got the gaskets changed, then lost oil pressure, so put a new oil pump in, and went on a short trip and the main bearings seized up. I don't want that to happen to me!

I wonder if there is something wrong with the oil he put in, but how can that be? But how is gas getting in the oil all of a sudden? It' very strange.

ANyone have any ideas what might be going on??

Reply to
JD

David Johnson

Find out how he cleaned the gasket material off the heads. I've seen many use "scotch brite" pads on die grinders to clean gaskets. Problem is they have aluminum oxides embedded in them, they get in the engine, mix with the oil and it washes the bearings out. And I have seen it happen in less than 1000 miles. You also neglected key information, make, model, year and engine size are imperative to diagnosis.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

BINGO!

Reply to
aarcuda69062
1990 Chev Silverado, 350 c.i. Around 150,000 miles on it.

Reply to
JD

Sound like a good possible diagnosis

Reply to