Nissan Sunny N13 with E16i engine: hesitates, jerks, sometimes stalls

Hi,

I have a problem with my Sunny (European name for Pulsar), which I hope someone of you can help me solve.

The car is N13 model hatchback with E16i engine, which is very similar to GA16DE. It has one-point injection of fuel.

I bought it from my uncle. He hadn't driven it for 3 years. Yes, for 3 years it stood in front of his house.

The fuel tank was empty. We poured in 5 litres of fuel and the fuel pump wouldn't work. After some time and after giving it current directly from the battery, it would finally work.

I did the usual tune-up: new air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, ingnition leads, vacuum hoses. Fortunately there are no leaks - all fluids (oil, coolant) are within limits of volume.

I couldn't get inside the distributor cap, because there is one very corroded screw holding it...

Now the problem: when driving, when i want to accelerate and quickly push the throttle, it hesitates and jerks, then it slows down (as if starving from fuel). I suppose because of very very lean mixture.

OTOH when I push the throttle very gently and slowly, it accelerates normally, but only up to about 3500 rpms. Then it starts jerking again.

The car also often stalls after deceleration, or after going from high rpms to idle.

When I pump the brake pedal, the idle rpms decrease from 900 to around

500. Is this normal?

A few days ago I poured in 20litres of fuel and a bottle of "Injector cleaner" fluid. The performance much improved, even the hesitation after quick stepping on the throttle would decrease, but it is still there. When I accelerate gently and slowly, sometimes it goes to about

4500 rpms without jerking.

Problem is that I don't know what helped it - the fuel or the injector cleaner...

I also performed autodiagnosis of the E.C.U. and it only gives code 44 (everything OK). In mode I. it appeares that the O2 sensor is malfunctioning. It wouldn't flash any LEDs at all.

Here's a list of possible causes of the problem (what I think it might be):

- ignition coil, distributor

- O2 sensor

- TPS

- MAF

- fuel pump

- injector

- quite inprobable: EGR, IAC, compression of pistons

What do you think might cause this?

Reply to
Ondrej from Slovakia