98 Caravan Overheating, Whining, and more

My 98 Grand Caravan 3.3L (130K miles) is giving me problems again. First problem began a couple weeks ago when I noticed a whine that appeared to be coming from the back of the engine (possibly on the driver's side, but I'm not certain). It only seems noticable when idling, coasting, or driving at low speeds (maybe under 25mph). It sounds like when you blow up a balloon, then pinch the opening and slowly release the air - that kind of high pitch sound. And when I accelerate, it seems to go up in pitch and then disappear. About a week ago, I noticed the Service Engine Soon lamp came on, with no noticable variation in performance. A couple days later, the car overheated. It has since had overheating problems. And when I sit at a light, the AC starts to blow warm air.

In April I had the water pump replaced after it seized up, and new coolant was put in at that time. I replaced the thermostat, air filter, and PCV valve last week. The head gasket is less than 2 years old. The fan relay switch and O2 sensors have also been replaced in the last year. Serpentine belt seems to be in pretty good shape. I believe it's maybe a year or two old, tops.

The AC problem, I am assuming is happeneing because the fans aren't kicking on. Last time that was the case, the fan relay was replaced and solved the problem. I need to double check that the next time it overheats.

The crossover pipe has been an issue for quite a long time (maybe 5 years), but I have not been able to find the part as it's apparently not made or always on back order. I realize this could be part of the whine problem.

I was thinking a vaccuum leak or the existing crossover leak could be the causes of the whine. The fans not kicking on could be a problem for the AC. I have no idea about the overheating, unless maybe it's plugged up. Radiator hasn't been flushed in at least 5 years. I am guessing the AC and overheating ARE possibly related, and the whine is possibly unrelated. But I am certainly no expert. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas to throw at me.

Was thinking about taking it to a dealer to at least see if they can give me a diagnosis.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
accroya

I also wanted to add that I replaced the radiator cap, and the overheating seems to occur more when I drive around the city and goes away if I drive at highway speeds.

Thanks again

Reply to
accroya

Have you at least tried to spin the fan blades?? (key off) Possibly related to everything

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Spun the blades by hand and they did move. I ran a couple of short errands and let the car run in my driveway as I watched the fans. Never saw them kick on, so that could be the reason for the overheating. Again, the AC was blowing cold while moving and started to blow "outside air" when not moving. I also noticed the serpentine belt is about 1/8" off track. I had checked that a few days back, thinking it could be a tensioner or other problem, and didn't notice it being off at that time. I'm thinking that's related to the whine, but am not sure.

maxpower wrote:

Reply to
accroya

Reply to