Small Scratch

Hello,

I have a small scratch on my brand new '08 Hyundai.

The scratch is on the side of the drivers side door. I opened it a little to far and bumped something.

Do you think that I should buy touch up paint to seal it to prevent rust?

The scratch took the paint off and I can see silver and my car is black.

Reply to
John

If what you see underneath is the primer, then there's no issue beyond the cosmetics. If you see bare metal, then it's important to apply some sort of paint ASAP.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

How can I tell if it's the primer or the metal?

Sorry but I'm new to car paint etc.

Reply to
John

Take a very close look with a magnifying glass if need be. Bare metal is shiny, primer usually has more of a gray color to it. I'd protect it anyway.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'd touch it up. The clear coat relies upon the integrity of the coating and chipped edges are invitations for moisture intrusion, etc. As well, primers will absorb moisture when exposed. Epoxy primer won't but I doubt they use epoxy primer on the car. A careful brush touch and all will be well.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Agreed.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Ok thanks to everyone for the advise.

Even though it's new, I guess that I will take a chance and touch it up. I just don't like the fact that it might not look right when I'm finished.

Reply to
John

It definitely won't look perfect, but if you do a neat job, it'll look better than what's there presently.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Where does one find touchup paint and the kits? My Elantra has a few bumper scratches, too.

Reply to
Fantine

Dealers generally have color matched touch up enamel. Aftermarket stores do as well, but I don't know if they will have Hyundai colors. It would be worth checking with Advance Auto, Pep Boys, etc.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thanks for the suggestion. I think even an arthritic klutz like me can handle a little touchup job. I hope.

Reply to
Fantine

You can. Just take your time and don't try to do it all in one dab. Use only a little bit on the end of the brush and dab it on gently. You'll find that if you don't blob a full brush on that it's not too hard to get a decent blend. Just don't try to blend it out into the surrounding paint, in order to make it disappear. It won't. Dabbing just small amounts on in order to fill the affected area to the point where they fairly well match the surrounding area will give you the best results.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Hi John;

Here is a hint .. When touching up automotive paint chips, do not use that little brush that is built into the "touch-up" paint bottle.. That will almost always give you too much paint for small chipped areas.. Instead, get a matchbook of old fashioned paper matches.. Tear a match out, and using the torn end, take your paint off the little brush in the touch up paint bottle and use the match end to apply your paint. If you find the paint level is too low in the chipped area, wait for it to dry, and touch it up again, using a new match.

This is an old auto body shop technique for touching up those tiny paint chips without getting blobs of paint on the area.

hth, JM

Reply to
jusme

The new Hyundai paints are in the form of a pen, rather than a bottle with brush. I haven't attempted to use one yet. It appears to have colored paint on one end and clearcoat on the other.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

So do you put the color on and let it dry for a day and then the clear coat on top of the color?

Reply to
John

That would be my presumption.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Thanks for the advice. I inspected the damage a little more carefully in the sunlight today, and in addition to the straight-line scratches (which seem to go down to the primer), the clearcoat only appears to be have been rubbed off in a few other spots. I think this job might be a little bigger than I initially estimated.

Reply to
Fantine

HT et al;

Yes it's a pen, but with a fiber tip. I have a black one (Ebony Black) from my old 06 if the op wants it...I'll check and see if it's still in my garage when I get home.

Steve

2008 Hyundai Sonata SE- His 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee- Hers 1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE- Ours

Reply to
Steve R.

Yup - it is. I do it myself sometimes. I disagree with not using the included brush though. You can easily wipe enough off on the lip of the container to make it work very well. It will work just a nice as a match.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Read the bottle. It will probably tell you to put the clear on within 20 minutes or so. Follow the directions on the bottle. Don't try to second guess this stuff, or you'll have clear coat peeling off in no time.

Reply to
Mike Marlow