Something to check on your Sonata

A friend of mine was getting out of my 2006 Sonata today (front passenger seat) and when he pulled on the assist pull, one end came loose from the roof. I assumed he had stripped the screw, but when I got home and looked at it more closely, the screw looked good except for maybe the first half thread or so. I then figured it must have stripped the threads from the mounting hole, but when I screwed the screw back in, it went in fine and took good torque. I then checked the front screw and found it was backed out 1-2 full turns.

I then decided to check the other 3 pulls and it is good that I did. The driver's side pull was about like the front passenger side. The rear screw was just about to fall out. I didn't count, but I'm guessing that screw took at least 4 full turns to tighten it down. The front screw on that side took 1-2 turns.

The rear pulls weren't as loose as the front, but they took anywhere from 1/2 to 2 turns to fully seat.

So, you may want to check your pull handles if you own a Sonata, at least a 2006 model.

Matt

Reply to
Voyager

Never would have thought to check. On my '07: Four pulls, eight screws, one loose, the one that gets used the most.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have an Opel Vectra, and they too were all loose. Noticed when my son pulled on it and it fell out.

Reply to
TheDragon

I wouldn't have thought to check either, but when one gets pulled loose it gets your attention! I was just hoping to save others having to have that particular form of reminder! :-)

Matt

Reply to
Voyager

I've reattached several. Never needed more than simply reinstalling the screw.

Reply to
hyundaitech

It just seemed odd that those screws would come loose. They aren't in a high vibration area.

Matt

Reply to
Voyager

My guess is that the particular screw into thin metal looses a tiny bit from pulling on it. Drop of Locktite would cure it, but I didn't have any handy at the time. But if it loosens again. . .

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski