Sonata transmission service

What type of service is needed for the transmission on this vehicle?

My local Hyundai dealer does a "transmission flush" for $159.

When I checked Alldata, it mentions disconnecting the cooler line, running it for one minute, and then opening the drain plug to drain the remaining fluid.

Isn't there a filter inside that should be replaced?

The transmission service, whatever it involves, is recommended at 30,000 miles for "severe" duty.

Thanks,

KM

Reply to
Kirk Matheson

for one minute, and then opening the drain plug to drain the remaining fluid.

for "severe" duty.

What year Sonata?

I don't have the manual in front of me to check, but is that the recommendation of Hyundai or the dealer? Some dealers and oil change shops sell services that are not needed so be sure to follow the book and not a service writer that gets a commission on what he sells.

Many new transmissions are seal and require little or no service.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

for one minute, and then opening the drain plug to drain the remaining fluid.

miles for "severe" duty.

It's a 2008. The owner's manual only specifies replacing the fluid at 105,000 miles for "normal" service, or 30,000 miles for "severe" service.

It doesn't specify the procedure for replacing the fluid. The procedure on alldata's website doesn't mention anything about changing a filter.

KM

Reply to
Kirk Matheson

Check the specific criteria for "severe" as relates to transmission service= in your owner's manual. I'm guessing you don't meet them.

In any event, the service in the manual is just a drain and refill -- remov= e the 24mm plug, install a new sealing washer, reinstall after draining, an= d add new fluid (about 5 quarts). You can do a flush that will replace mor= e fluid if desired, but that's not required.

Reply to
hyundaitech

ce in your owner's manual. I'm guessing you don't meet them.

ove the 24mm plug, install a new sealing washer, reinstall after draining, = and add new fluid (about 5 quarts). You can do a flush that will replace m= ore fluid if desired, but that's not required.

Thanks. That is the answer that I was looking for. It is consistent with th= e procedure from alldata.

No filter to replace inside?

KM

Reply to
Kirk Matheson

alldata's website doesn't mention anything about changing a filter.

I don't think they have filters like years ago. Used to be you dropped a pan to get to it. Times have changed.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

emove the 24mm plug, install a new sealing washer, reinstall after draining= , and add new fluid (about 5 quarts). You can do a flush that will replace= more fluid if desired, but that's not required.

the procedure from alldata.

There's a filter inside, but you'd need to remove the transmission and disa= ssemble it to get the filter out. It's more like a screen and isn't intend= ed to be replaced.

Reply to
hyundaitech

remove the 24mm plug, install a new sealing washer, reinstall after draini= ng, and add new fluid (about 5 quarts). You can do a flush that will repla= ce more fluid if desired, but that's not required.

h the procedure from alldata.

sassemble it to get the filter out. It's more like a screen and isn't inte= nded to be replaced.

Very good. All my questions have been answered. Now I understand why the de= aler just does a flush/drain. There is no filter to change.

Quite a change from what I am used to. Looks like they have tried to keep t= hings simple.

Thanks for all the responses.

KM

Reply to
Kirk Matheson