99 F350 Tranny fluid change questions

Hi,

I have a '99 F350 V10 gas dually that I use primarily for towing my

5th wheel camper. I bought the truck 2 years ago and have put about 3000 miles on it. The odometer reads about 51,500 miles.

As part of routine maintenance, I want to replace the transmission fluid.

The Ford dealer says they can do a "power flush" for $139. I am guessing that this means opening one of the fluid lines and applying new fluid in one end and emptying old fluid out of the other. Bearing in mind that I use the truck for mostly towing the camper, is the "power flush" sufficient, and does a transmission cooler have any impact on this, as I believe (haven't looked yet) that there is a cooler near the radiator. What about the filter assembly that is located in the transmission pan? Should I also have it changed by the dealer? If so, the power flush would not be an option since the pan would have to be dropped to get to the filter.

Or, should I do the work myself? I noticed that my transmission has a drain plug in the center of it even though my Chilton book makes no mention of the drain plug. After removing the fluid I could replace the filter assembly also. The Chilton book says that the gasket is reusable. The drain plug would make this much easier than dropping a pan full of fluid.

If I have a transmission cooler, is there a filter for it that should be replaced? Do the cooler lines need to be blown out?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Jack

Reply to
jg

all the 'trans flush' does is stirr up dirt in the ocnverter

converter return oil becomes lube oil to the gear train

just start changing it every 10-12 k and be done with it

will take about 5-6 quarts per change

if its a 2WD, put 4WD pan and filter on it

Reply to
TranSurgeon