30,000 Mile Service on 2003 Mountaineer

It's not clear from the book if I am to change the tranny fluid at 30,000 on our '03 Mountaineer V8. It says to do so if equipped with AX-45, 4F50N,

4R100 or 4F27E. How the heck am I to know if that is what I have???
Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Look in the Specifications section of your owner's guide (near the back around page 280). There is a chart telling you how to decode the certification label and determine which transmission you have. I think you have the 5R55E. If it was my car I'd change the fluid at 30,000 miles whether the book said to or not. Just be sure you use the right fluid. Mercon and Mercon V are not interchangeable (no matter what the bottle may say).

Regards,

Ed White

"D.D. Palmer" wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

Reply to
Robert DeSimone

I checked the Ford Service DVD. It had the following statement for the

5R55S (note that the transmission is a 5R55S, not 5R55E):

Normal maintenance; Fluid change not necessary, filled for life. Severe duty maintenance; Change the fluid at 48,000 km (30,000 miles) intervals

The transmission requires Mercon V Fluid equivalent to Motorcraft MERCON ® V Automatic Transmission Fluid XT-5-QM. The only way to add fluid to this transmission is to use a flush and fill machine or to use a pump to force the fluid up through the fill hole. It looks like a pain. I can only imagine how badly Jiffy Lube could screw this transmission. THis might be one of those things I let the dealer do.

Regards,

Ed White

Robert DeSim>

Reply to
C. E. White

As I have an extended warranty to 100,000 miles, I'll pass on the tranny flush at 30,000 miles. I am sure this vehicle will be squishin' bugs for someone else after about 75,000 miles or so. I just want to do the maintenance to keep the warranty in effect. So I'll pass on the 30k tranny flush. Thanks for the info.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer