timing belt

about how much should i expect to spend for the 60k timing belt change.? is it necessaary to change the water pump also.

2002 accent. also, what do i have to check-change to main the powertrain warranty??

thanks

Reply to
george ross

Call around shops in your area for a quote. Prices will vary greatly by shop and geographic location.

If you're the original owner, don't change the water pump. It will be covered by the 10/100 powertrain warranty should it fail. That means you're only left with a 20k mileage margin where you'll need to pay if it fails prior to your next timing belt replacement. At 120k, you should probably seriously consider replacing the water pump if you haven't already done so.

You'll need to do any powertrain maintenance normally recommended to keep the powertrain warranty in complete effect. Check the maintenance schedule in your owner's manual. Keep in mind, the timing belt is one of the required items (unless you're in California). If you don't replace it and it fails outside the 4 year/60k recommended maintenance interval (not very likely on an Accent), Hyundai won't cover repairs. The timing belt is a covered powertrain component as long as you replace it at the recommended interval with a Hyundai belt.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Hyundai Tech, why did you add the "unless you're in California" note to your reply. Im going to have my timing belt replaced in the next month or so, and I live in CA. I have a Tiburon with 83K miles. What other major service items should I preform? Thanks!

Reply to
andyaztec

If you look in your owner's manual, you'll see that the timing belt replacement at 4 years/60k miles has a footnote which reads something like "in California, replacing the timing belt is recommended but not required." I suppose there's some California-specific legal issue which makes them unable to force you to do it at your expense.

I can't provide much advice as to what you should do unless I know the service history of the vehicle. Presuming your vehicle is 2001 or older, here's my personal recommendations for maintenance and their intervals:

Replace trans fluid/filter -- 30k miles Replace air filter -- 30k miles Replace spark plugs -- 30k miles Replace spark plug wires -- 60k miles Replace fuel filter -- 60k miles Rotate tires -- 7500 miles (depending also on tire condition) Replace coolant -- every year Replace timing belt -- 60k miles or 6 years Change oil and filter -- 3k miles

Note that some items are a little different than the manual recommendations. I've seen enough plug wire failures on the 2.0 engine that I recommend replacing them at 60k. The Tiburon timing belt isn't one that tends to fail frequently, so I wouldn't overly stress about the 4 year deal. The fuel filter official recommendation is 52,500 miles, but I figure that's close enough to just do it every 60k. And, given the price of draining and refilling coolant, there's little reason to not do it every year to keep everything hunky dory.

And, for others who might read this, these recommendations are intended for '97-'01 Tiburon, '96-'00 Elantra, and '95-'05 Accent only.

Reply to
hyundaitech

"hyundaitech" said --> "The timing belt is a covered powertrain component as long as you replace it at the recommended interval with a Hyundai belt."

Is the head damage covered if an aftermarket (non Hyundai) belt breaks?

Reply to
BillyGoat

IMHO a 3rd party timing belt NAPA is not going to break if changed at regular 60K mile intervals. That said, if it did happen to break you'd have to go after the manufacturer of the belt to be compensated for the engine repairs, which would probably be more effort than it's worth.

Reply to
Screwtape III

The difference in the price of the timing belt is so small that there's really no reason to bother with an aftermarket part. Just use the Hyundai belt and eliminate all possibility of a problem.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Not a chance they'd cover it. Your warranty does not cover consequential damages from a noncovered component (i.e. the aftermarket timing belt).

Reply to
hyundaitech

Reply to
Jody

I recently took my Accent to a garage to have the timing belt changed (the car is no longer under warranty). They tried to use an aftermarket belt, but could not get it to work properly. They ended up having to order a Hyundai belt.

Reply to
JJ