Timing belt feedback

I often see posts regarding timing belt prices. I recently had my belt changed on my 2005 Elantra. I also had a trany drain and fill and my coolant changed. Below is the info on what I paid.

Replace the timing belt & drive belts $329.95 consisted of

1) 97713-2d100 belt "v" 1) 25212-23000 V-Ribbed B 1) 57170-2d101 Belt"v"-PO 1) 24312-23202 Belt-Valve The belts cost $103.74 Labor cost $226.21

Trans drain and fill Cost $77.80 consisting of

1) 21513-11000 gasket-oil 5) 00230-11000 ATF The ATF cost $6.47 per quart for $32.35 Gasket $ .45 Labor $45.00

Cooling Flush Cost $64.50 Anti Freeze from bulk container $19.50 Labor $45.00

Plus tax.

What I did was call every Hyundai dealer in my area, get the service managers name and email addy and send them all the following email.

Dear Sir,

I am the owner of a 2005 Hyundai Elantra. I will be coming up to

60,000 miles on the car and require a new timing belt installed on this vehicle.

I am requesting a quote to have your dealership replace the timing belt with a genuine Hyundai part. Please provide the following:

  1. Price of the belt

  1. Price of labor

  2. Any additional cost/parts/etc.

  1. Tax

  2. Total out the door price

I will be contacting several Hyundai dealers and will be selecting the dealer with the lowest cost. I live in Twinsburg and am willing to travel to dealer within a 40 mile radius of me. You are one those dealers I am considering.

Also I will need a transmission fluid change. Will a drain and fill satisfy/meet the requirement of my warrantee, and if so quote me a separate out the door price for that. I am willing to go to two different dealers for the timing belt and transmission fluid change.

I welcome any comments you wish to make. I will be having the work performed within the next two week.

Thank you and

Please reply to

Reply to
bobmichael

Bob, you are 8 hours away from me but if I could get prices like that, I would drive to Twinsburg, OH, stay overnight in a motel and have everything fixed and replaced.

I was quoted $200 to flush out and change the Transmission Fluid and you have $45. What dealer did you end up going to and what were some of the other quotes?

Alan

Reply to
Alan

Alan, call me on my cell at 440-248-6690 or email me at snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com and I can give you the info.

Reply to
bobotis

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 $ =A0 .45

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 $45.00

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 $45.00

These prices are what it SHOULD cost everywhere if Service Shops were fair with the consumer. But im afraid gouging is a part of life.

Reply to
IlBeBauck