Timing Belt Replacement

I own a 1999 Camry XL (4 cyl) which has 68,000 miles. My mechanic thinks it's time for a new timing belt. But that might be like asking the barber whether you need a haircut. I recall the old rule decades back was every

60,000 miles. Does mine sound like I should do it now?
Reply to
PT

What does your owner's manual and maintenance manuals say?

Reply to
Jeff

The Toyota dealer where I am in Canada says 140 000 km, but there is also an age effect at work here. I'd say leave it another year and then change it. It's not an interference engine, so it's not big bucks if it breaks, but there is a safety issue of suddenly losing all power.

Reply to
Nobody Important

According to Toyota's web site, the replacement interval is 90,000 miles or

72 months for your car. According to Gate's web site, the engine is non-interference so the engine should not be damaged if the timing belt breaks, although you will be left stranded when that happens.

Rubber does deteriorate over time, which is why automakers put a time and mileage replacement recommendation. That said, at the rate you are putting miles on the car, you should be able to delay timing belt replacement for at least another year.

Reply to
Ray O

Its about 20 years old, rubber rots, maybe you dont mind getting stranded on a rainy night in the worst part of town, but you might cause an accident, that is negligence.

Reply to
ransley

1999-2008 = 9 yo.
Reply to
01dyna

Since it is a 1999, it's about 9 years old.

Owners manual on my 1998 definitely says 90,000 miles. An unusually high number of people report problems after timing belt changes (compared to other maintenance items).

Reply to
Mark A

ok, 9 years isnt as bad,

Reply to
ransley

This may not be relevant to your Camry, but I just replaced a timing belt on my 1989 Isuzu Trooper II, the book calls for replacement at

60000 miles, I replaced it at 80000, the belt does not show any cracking that I can see, however the teeth are worn some. I suspect I could have gone a few thousand more miles before the belt broke and destroyed the Trooper's interference engine. I didn't want to take the chance, besides it's no fun stopping in the middle of traffic with a dead engine.
Reply to
dbu

Oh come on...MIGHT cause an accident? Using that logic, he should never drive again because he MIGHT cause an accident.

Reply to
Retired VIP

you might well cause an accident when you lose power brakes and power steering. Ever try to turn a steering wheel on a stalled engine while the car is rolling?

Reply to
mack

Why is that do you think?

Reply to
me

They are often not replaced correctly.

Reply to
SMS

How much should it cost?

Reply to
marmar5

Yes I have. It's a lot harder to turn the wheel or stop the car but it isn't impossible.

You can't base your life on what "Might" happen. If you do then you won't get out of bed because you "might" fail down the stairs. You'll starve to death because you "might" get food poisoning if you eat.

Reply to
Retired VIP

I would recommend it be done by a dealer or very experienced independent shop (specializing in Toyota service). Call around to all the dealers in your area to find the price. Sometimes they have service specials on their web page, or just ask the Service Advisor.

Reply to
Mark A

I have a 98 Camry and it's at 86K miles now. I haven't decided if I'm going to change it or have it done. I want it done right and if you want anything done right........

Reply to
Moe

....you take it to a competent mechanic, but you tell newgroup denizens that you did it yourself. :)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Mine broke driving, im lucky it was daylight and not on the hwy in the middle lane, wake up it happens alot, that people get stuck and are hit.

Reply to
ransley

Granted, but it's only prudent to avoid situations where you might get your tit caught in the wringer so to speak. Sorry ladies. You can also drive thousands of miles on bald or nearly bald tires without a blowout or skidding (if you avoid driving in rainy weather. You can also drive your car with insufficient oil in the pan, or with your brakes on their last legs, or with a dying battery, but you (if you are prudent) avoid doing these things lest one or more of these things MIGHT happen. You can also drive with 1/8 of a tank of gas at all times, but you MIGHT run out some time. I for one would not enjoy the prospect my timing belt breaking while I'm in the fast lane of an interstate. You MIGHT survive, .....or not.

Reply to
mack