Maxima Key Question

Hi. I have a 99 Maxima where the key has electronics within it (sorry, I don't know the correct terminology for it). The little plastic piece across the top of the key broke making it impossible to attach it to a key ring.

Rather than pay $50 for a new key, would it be possible to drill a hole through the plastic as to not drill through the electronics in the key? If so, where would be the best location on the plastic to do this?

If responding to me directly, please take out "REMOVE" from my e-mail address.

Thanks! Doug

Reply to
Doug

Wouldn't mind knowing myself (same issue). But just to let you know, a new blank will run $50 from Nissan. Cutting it and programming it will cost you another $80. You can pick up cheaper blanks on EBay, but if Nissan can't program it for some reason, you still have to pay the $80.

Reply to
Dan

If you still have the piece that broke off, maybe you could stick it back on with JB Weld. Or better yet - cut a piece of a paper clip or a small finishing nail and epoxy that across the top to restore the key ring hole.

Reply to
E. Meyer

you can drill a hole in the top area of the key, just don't get to out of control with the hole size

I have done this for my good customers.

Reply to
NissTech

Thanks. I drilled a hole in the top if the Nissan logo on the key, and it works perfectly. Thanks!!

Reply to
Doug