Where's the Hybrids!

Reply to
Jody

Jyea car that has only been drivin off the lot and had title transfered is only worth about 75% of what was paid for the vehicle for years ive been buyin a $200 junker cavalier ... driving it for a good couple years ( average about 100k in those 2 years) with only changing the oil about 4 times in the process total cost of ownership == 150 a year ... now how much is that lease payment of yours oh and i forgot to mention ... after the couple of years ... i get 100 back on the car from the scrap yard .. so thats hmmm about 100 bucks a year

i dont get to drive a nice looking vehicle .. but it costs less than the tax on your new vehicle and still gets me from point A to point B

ody wrote:

Reply to
Lame

MY friend just got a 2005 Priuis and it is a kewl car... 50 MPG is possible in the city. Plenty of room, nice radio, comfortable ride. Plus he get a 2K tax break from the feds this year for buying a hybrid.

It's a kewl car!

ElantraStan

The Commander

No, but I thought about going to dental school many years ago and I may be as painful to deal with. ;-)

Unfortunately no.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

I actually bought my first new car since 1984 last year, but only because the Elantra GT had a rebate that was ~equivalent to the first year or so of depreciation. I figured it was nearly the same as buying a used car, only without the "use". I plan on keeping it until it dies, as I have with my other vehicles.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

toyota prius: $20k MSRP, 55mpg. hyundai accent: $10k MSRP, 30mpg. current price per gallon: ~$2 miles before prius pays for its hefty premium: 328,258

Is your friend actually planning on keeping the car for that many miles?

Reply to
Balfa

The look on the owner's face when they realize this...priceless.

Sorry...couldn't resist. ;-)

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

No, but he wanted the technology that is in the car. It really is a unique car, mainly for city driving is where it gets the best mileage. And who knows where gas can go in 5 years....

I had the same dicussion with him, about he could get an Elantra, for 1/2 the price, put the $12,500 in a mutual fund and when the Elantra wears out after that fantastic waranty, he would have enough money to buy another Elantra with some extra cash to boot!

He does keep cars well past 100K miles though.

So if he is happy... that is all that matters. :)

ElantraStan

snipped-for-privacy@hirise.com

Reply to
The Commander

Reply to
Jody

That?s a very cool way of looking at it :)

Reply to
Balfa