1990 240 has 225,000 miles: who can top that?

Anybody out there got higher mileage, and it's still a daily driver? Please reply... Thanks!

Reply to
storitman

Neither of our Volvos are over 200,000 miles. But someone I meet often, and who used to post to this group (Karen B.) has over

300,000 miles on a daily-driver 1993 850 GLT.
Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

We bought our 97 850 with ~80 on the clock, it's now up to 135. I see no reason save a major failure, or the price of gas (just bought 91 octane shell for USD 2.649/Gal) keeping us from going well over 225.

In France I was paying around 5ish us per gallon of deisel when I converted it out, has the price of gas risen in Europe as much as here--in the spring gas was ~USD 2.059/gallon or so, and 87 octane was around USD 1.909/gal.

The rapidly rising price of gas is a big factor in my used volvo vs new Acura TSX calculus. 4 cyl, 200 hp 28 MPG...hard to beat... On the other hand nice used 960's are ~$3-5000...

Reply to
Steve

We just put down our daily driver last week, a 1990 740 GLE (16-valve) wagon with just shy of 240,000 miles (was hoping to make it to a quarter million). The timing belt unexpectedly (and catastrophically) failed with only about 35,000 miles on it. The car was being driven over 250 miles per week and averaged 26 - 27 MPG.

Reply to
Steve

1985 245 273K miles. Dying of rust.

Howard

Reply to
Howard Nelson
12th on the high mileage club!

452600 and climbing!!

John

Reply to
jds

I am headed out this weekend to look at and possibly purchase a 1990

240DL 5 speed stick wagon with 190,000 on it... __ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvo '93 960 Estate
Reply to
Randy G.

My 1978 264 went to about 450K. I don't know exactly because the odometer broke at 375K. We drove it for another 5 years after that.

Reply to
Robert Lutwak

"storitman" wrote

Not a Volvo story, but I traded in an 86 Nissan Stanza Wagon (called a "Prairie" outside the US) a few years ago with 265K miles on it. The salesman grabbed all his cohorts and dragged them over to see it as none of them had taken a trade with that many miles on it before. And yes, I was driving it every day up to then. Here's hoping my little V40 does at least as well.

Reply to
Joe Blizzard

Check out Irv Gordon in NY state. His 1800 has more than 2,000,000 miles certified and is still his daily driver. He is number 1 on the High mileage listings.

All the best, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Reply to
Judy and Brad

235,300 miles on our '85 765T and I add about 100 miles per week. Original turbo and the head has never been off the engine. The original windshield, too, which is amazing in Arizona.

A decade ago I gave away a 1970 145 on the high side of 290K miles - I rebuilt the engine at 190K because the rings had been broken by detonation before I bought it. I put in the thick head gasket and matching water pump ring and had no more detonation.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Sure, '79 242 with 229K, '86 245 with 243K and '87 744 Turbo with 270K, all still daily drivers and running strong.

Reply to
James Sweet

Not to rain on your parade, but in the USA, a car with 186,000 miles on it going 75 MPH every day is perhaps not common but surely not unusual, especially in the west (where the miles are quite a bit easier, so it might not be apples to apples...)

My 91 Acura (honda) has ~152,000 and it goes 80-85 MPH fairly frequently--and it runs fine, either full size Ford and Chevy, or quality Japanese (e.g. toyota and Nissan) pick up trucks tend to get 300,000 miles all the time, but then with their heavy duty components not a real fair comparison.

It seems to me that one sees many many more cars on the road with well over

100,000 miles on them--when I was a kid in the 60's it was quite uncommon.

Perhaps the type of driving has a huge effect on the impressiveness of the miles driven...

Reply to
Steve
89 240 daily driver 255,000 and I still get it up around 100mph at least 3 days a week and sideways every chance I get...
Reply to
bob

I had a customer in my shop today whose '93 Civic showed 349,000 on the clock and still runs & drives perfectly. Regular oil changes, tire rotations (she said she got 100,000 out of her last set of tires).

Reply to
James Goforth

I bet she doesn't know how to toe-heel downshift or power drift out of a corner! ;-)

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvo '93 960 Estate

Reply to
Randy G.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

Reply to
Steve

Our 86 740--350,000 plus. Had it since it was new. Just replaced engine wiring harness. We gave our 99 S-80 to our kids; too many problems. The

740 keeps running.

Reply to
Jim Corey
87 760T wagon.

238,500 miles, and going strong. Just barely broken in, I think...

Rusty