words about Sonata V6

Just found out how to improve gas mileage on 06 Sonata V6. Got 33.6 MPG from Lordsburg NMex to Las Cruces NMex, about 200 mile! All you have to do is have a 45 MPH r

Reply to
deck1

What is a 45 MPH r???

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I bet it was " rearwind " but it stopped blowing b4 he was done typeing or it gusted and blew his laptop away

']['unez

Reply to
']['unez

Matt Whiting scribbled:

I've noticed that somewhere between 45 and 50 MPH is most efficient. I get somewhere between 35 and 38 mpg at that speed. Any faster or slower, and it goes down.

Temperature really makes a big difference, too. In the winter (when it's between -10 and +10 degrees F) I get around 18mpg. In the summer, it's closer to 22mpg

Reply to
Don P.

and then as I was typing my computer crashed....45 MPH tail wind from the west!!! One more thing..Haven't seen anything on it here, maybe I just haven't seen it...bought a FRAM CH9999 filter for sonata v-6 at walmart for 5.53 made in KOREA!!!

Reply to
deck1

also forgot.....cruise control set on 80!!!

Reply to
deck1

Summer gas blend makes a difference also. Mine has just gone up about 2 mpg the past few tanks.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yes, mine made a huge jump on the last tank. I haven't computed it yet, but I got 490 miles and the light wasn't even on yet!

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Fram filter ... best of luck! I guess you really don't like your Sonata!

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

have been using fram filters for 40 years...haven't ever had any problems

Reply to
Deck

I know that Fram filters have a bad rep... Probably because they can hide trash in a can encased filter. That's hard to do with an element type filter like is used in the 3.3 Sonata. I looked at the Purolator / NAPA India made version of the filter, and I was not impressed. I bought a CH9999 from Wally-World, and took some pictures. The filter really doesn't look bad. In fact, the actual element looks more consistent than the Hyundai filter. The end seals (element to plastic) look identical, and the oil seals - both on the filter, and in the bag for the bypass valve, and the filter cap look the same. I'll try it, and see how it holds up.

Here's the pix. They are fairly high resolution, so they might take a while:

Bob

Side by side... the fram looks better. Bill

Reply to
billyboy24d

Looks don't filter oil. I haven't seen a lot of test data recently, but the tests I've seen in the past didn't place Fram in a very good light performance-wise.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Thanks for posting the excellent pictures!

Reply to
Screwtape III

The pictures are very nice. In the pictures, it appears that both the filter media and the inner o-rings (I think they are o-rings anyway) are a different color from the Hyundai filter. This may be inconsequential or it may mean that these materials are materially (pun intended!) different from the Hyundai filter. I'd want to know if this was my engine.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

True, looks don't filter oil, but the sites that I've been able to find that "tested / compared" various oil filters did rely solely on looking at the construction of the different filters. None of them did any testing of the filter's ability to filter oil. They mention things like cardboard end caps. Also they found bad anti-drainback valve construction, crappy can construction, and bad bypass valve construction. Also, just looking at the pictures, you can see that the filter media looks realy bad. This filter has none of the items mentioned. All of the functionality other than the actual filtering of the oil is provided by the parts that Hyundai originally provided with the vehicle, and stay with it regardless of what brand of filter is used.

Given that one of the trademark signs of the crappy Fram filters is the cardboard end caps - and these don't have them - it might be reasonable to conclude that these particular filters are made someplace other than the factory that makes the other Fram filters. As we know, Hyundai issued that TSB warning about problems with "certain" aftermarket filters causing oil pressure issues. Given the information about the poor quality construction of the can type filters that's only visible after destructive disassembly, it's obvious why those problems exist.

The only real question about these filters is whether the element holds up for an oil change cycle. That will be easy to determine.

If you know of sites that have done other than visual testing that I haven't been able to find, I'd be interested in looking at their data.

Reply to
Bob

They are. The O rings on the Fram are a lighter green. The filter media is also a lighter color on the Fram. They smell different, too. The first filter I took out of my 2007 Sonata had dark red O rings. The "Hyundai" filter in the pictures actually came from a Kia dealer. Same part number as the one from the Hyundai dealer.... just $6.00 cheaper.

Reply to
Bob

You mean you paid $6 for it? My Hyundai dealer charged my 8.95 for each filter. Last time I checked I could not get an aftermarket yet.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I think it was $6.50. It's in a Kia box, but it has the same part number as the Hyundai filter. I just bought the Fram filter because it is a little cheaper, and I was curious how it compared to the Hyundai filter. As I said previously, I've seen the "made in India" Purolator filter, and I wasn't impressed. This one looks pretty good.

Reply to
Bob

Damn, that is a good deal.

- Thee Chicago Wolf