Would you buy another Hyundai?

You are right that the Grand M rides a WHALE of a lot better. Felt like it was a huge whale wallowing around the sea.

I rented a Grand Marquis back in December for four days. I drove out of Las Vegas toward Death Valley and the road curved a bit as it climbed over the mountain. It was real work to keep it between the yellow lines. I was wishing I was back in my Sonata so I could be going 10 mph faster and have better control. Nice car for when you take the grandparents out for dinner, but not what I want under me under serious driving conditions. To each his own.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

7 years????? What the hell do you have against that truck Matt, that you're so damned anxious to get rid of it?

Matt - you require too much vision. You're driving a truck dambit...

Oh man - that would be a major issue for me. I plow *only* in 4 low. Imagine a day of beep beep beep...

Well, after one more of the upstate NY winters than your truck has Matt, mine is really showing the signs as of this year. The rust really came alive over the past year. This summer my truck will see some major reconstructive surgery. Cab off, some minor frame work and paint, new doors, new front fenders, and some metal work on the cab corners and on the box. Like you said - for the money it'll cost me to renew the body on this truck, I can't even think about looking at a new(er) one.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I'm getting tired of green and silver! :-)

What make/model is the truck you are fixing up?

When mine is no longer road worthy, and assuming it still is a reliable runner, I plan to just drop the license and use it off-road to plow my driveway and haul firewood. I'm still using my old 1986 Jeep Comanche for that, but it is getting harder to keep running and the clutch or transmission sychros are going as it is getting hard to get into 1st and reverse. I suspect the clutch as when my father-in-law had it (I had it nearly 10 years and then he bought it for 10 more and then gave it back to me two years ago shortly before he died) he didn't know it had a hydraulic clutch. When I got it back, the clutch felt funny so I looked into the master cylinder. I couldn't even see fluid and it was full of dried gunk. I filled it up, but it never came back to normal so I suspect that the seals may have dried out or something. I was going to try to rebuild it, but decided the truck isn't worth is as the body is about shot as well as other parts of the truck (exhaust, etc.) and I figure I'll be able to replace it with the Chevy in the next few years and buy a diesel for my road truck.

Matt Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Reply to message from irwell (Fri, 06 Apr 2007 18:34:22) about "Would you buy another Hyundai?":

i> If not, what would be your choice?

Bought 5 to date. New Santa Fe and Vera Cruz both look good and drive well and my Grand Caravan is on her last legs. So yes I would buy another one.

Do I think that I will buy Hyundais forever? Maybe not. But as long as they keep offering the excellent mix of good looks, decent price, good quality and excellent warranty, one would be dumb not to buy / continue to by these products.

Now I am curious - what is behind your question?

Best Regards Wayne Moses Sun, 08 Apr 2007 12:03:50 -0500

Wayne Moses

Reply to message from "KWW" (Sat, 07 Apr 2007 07:23:27) about "Re: Would you buy another Hyundai?":

K> So either a GM or a Honda would probably be my next car....

He he he ... unbelievable that you would consider these two side by side. To me they are worlds apart.

Best Regards Wayne Moses Sun, 08 Apr 2007 12:11:20 -0500

Wayne Moses

It doesn't appear that Hyundai will be offering a wagon any time soon. We checked out all the other lower priced wagons and 5 doors ala Spectra5, Pontiac Vibe, Mazda3. IMO, they don't offer much over my '99 Elantra 5spd wagon. None of them are as roomy, and the Vibe I thought was a dog performance-wise. The Mazda gets up and goes, but is kinda pricey for what you get. Fuel economy is give or take a few mpg. Maybe a Focus wagon with a 5spd ( no automatics allowed in this family) but the way it stands right now, I'll save my pennies and go for a Subaru Outback. I think that they are one nice ride and they suit our lifestyle.

L.

Reply to
Leonardo

I agree. After the new 84 Accord that I bought when had its top-end self-destruct at 72,000 miles, I would never insult GM by lumping them with Honda! What an insult to GM.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

'94 Silverado w/350.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Sounds close to mine. Mine is a 94 Silverado K1500 extended cab. Mine has the 4.3L with 5 speed MT8 manual (at least I think that was the designation for the transmission with the granny gear low). I let the salesman talk me out of the 4.10 axles for 3.73s and that was a mistake. A couple of years after I bought the truck, I replaced the ring and pinions with 4.56s and what a difference that made. No loss in fuel economy as it was lugging too much in OD (1600 RPM stock and about 2000 RPM after the swap at 55 MPH. And much better performance and in L/4L, I can get out and walk faster than the truck moves at idle!

I noticed the first rust last fall behind the rear mudflaps. I suspect the truck will pass inspection for at least 4 more years with no body work and that will probably be enough for me to just drop the license and use it for my off-road mule rather than try to fix it up and keep it street legal. I'll be ready for a new diesel truck by then anyway!

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Ive bought a total of 4 Hyundai's ; 2 Sonatas and 2 Santa Fe's . I would continue to buy Hyundais ; it is alot of value for the money, reliable, and very long warranty. Stylish autos too.

Reply to
dave

Sorry Matt - I should also have noted that mine is a K1500 extended cab also. Mine is an automatic though.

I noticed some rust starting - just starting, last year. That was around the cab corners, and the front fenders. This year those spots are large holes. The lower doors and the tail gate began rusting years ago - I forget now how many years ago. I think it must have been 7 or 8 years ago. I repaired those areas at the time, but not by adding any sheet metal. Just sandblasted them and applied some POR-15, then worked up from there with normal body work. That repair was ok, for what it was, in that I got 7 or 8 years out of it for low cost. Now - the lower skins have to be replaced on the doors and the tail gate is a goner. But - the truck is 14 years old. It sits more than it gets driven now, except for plow season. I swear - that's the worst thing that can happen to a vehicle. Sitting just seems to promote rust.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I already did. Now I am close to buying my third. I guess you can guess if I like them.

Reply to
jtees4

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 02:33:21 +0000, a rock fell from the sky, hitting Matt Whiting on the head, and inspiring the following:

I know this is way OT, but I've read more than once that the Toyota tundra 1/2ton probably will also be their 3/4 ton and...

...that they're in talks with Caterpiller to supply a diesel to the truck in the next year or so. One magazine even commented how a Cummins, Duramax or a Navistar could easily fit in the 1/2 ton engine bay - even with an Allison or other HD tranny behind.

So, is Hyundai coming out with a diesel truck? :P

Reply to
PerfectReign

That explains it! Automatics rust a lot faster than standards! :-)

I had no rust last year on the front fenders, doors or tailgate, at least nothing visible when I waxed the truck. And waxing tends to give me a pretty good inspection. The main rust is on the rear bumper, particularly behind the exhaust pipe on the passenger side. The frame is getting a fair bit of rust, but the underbody looks like new. I inspect that pretty well every 10K miles when I put it up on jack stands to rotate the tires and grease it.

I wonder why yours has rusted out so much faster than mine. I do have a cap on mine which has been on it since it was new so that keeps the rain out of the bed and off the inside of the tailgate, so maybe that has helped. Also, the truck has been garaged almost its entire life, but I'm not sure that garaging a vehicle in the winter is a good thing.

Mine had rust behind the rear wheels where the holes were drilled for the mud flaps. The original screws had rusted away and the paint was flaking around the holes. I greased up the holes again as I did when I first installed the mud flaps and replaced the original self-tapping sheet metal screws with SS bolts, washers and nuts. I suspect the fender will rust away now before I need to replace the mud flap bolts! I probably should have used SS hardware in the beginning and maybe the loose bolts wouldn't have worked the paint loose.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Reply to message from Matt Whiting (Sun, 08 Apr 2007 14:

20:05) about "Re: Would you buy another Hyundai?":

MW> I agree. After the new 84 Accord that I bought when had its top-end MW> self- destruct at 72,000 miles, I would never insult GM by lumping MW> them with Honda! What an insult to GM.

Haha ... I was actually ranking them in the reverse to you, for much the same reasons that the real car mags (C&D, R&T, etc.) and the useless (as far as cars are concerned, unless you are a soccer mom) Consumer Reports. ;-)

Best Regards Wayne Moses Mon, 09 Apr 2007 19:28:37 -0500

Wayne Moses

One word - New York State Winters.

I have a cap on mine also and before I had the cap, it always had a toneau cover on the box.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

None of those magazines look at reliability and CR only does through user surveys, not their own long-term tests.

My Accord self-destructed at 72,000 miles and required replacement of the cam and all 16 rocker arms and had metal circulated through the engine for several miles before it finally completely failed. It was making noise at 60,000 and I had the dealership listen to it and they pronounced it normal.

What really irked me was the treatment by Honda. The dealer of course said it was out of warranty, which it was, but also agreed with me that this shouldn't have happened. I sent a letter to Honda as the repair was something like $600 and I didn't have a lot of money in those days. I thought they might at least meet me halfway and provide the parts and I'd pay the labor as each was about half the total. Instead, they sent me a letter (which I think I still have in my files) accusing me of not maintaining the car properly as the failure appeared to be lubrication related. This was really dumb on their part as I keep a log in all of my vehicles and record EVERYTHING including every gas purchase and I keep a running MPG tally on every tank. I had probably 30 pages in the book by then so I copied them all and sent them to Honda. I also sent copies of my receipts for all of the genuine Honda oil filters I had purchased and the Mobil 1 oil that I used. They did something even more stupid and wrote a second letter stating that it "appeared" that I had maintained the vehicle properly but that the engine was out of warranty and in any event they considered 72,000 miles of service life to be within "normal manufacturing variance."

Well, I've never had an engine fail that completely before or since and I don't consider 72,000 miles to be acceptable life for a modern engine so I decided at that point that Honda's standards simply weren't high enough for me. I haven't bought a Honda since and never will again. I've bought five new vehicles since then and Honda could have had probably three of those sales and maybe more now that they have a pickup. So, they lost 3-5 new vehicle sales because they wouldn't stand behind their product with $300 in parts. So, their business sense is as bad as their consumer affairs.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I drive mostly in NY also. I commute from Lawrenceville, PA to Corning every day which is 5 miles in PA and 15 in NY and PA uses about as much salt as does NY and a lot more cinders which is harder on the paint. Maybe I just got lucky or maybe keeping it in the garage has helped.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I'm upstate, north of Syracuse. Much different winter up here than in the southern tier. Much different.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Yes, I have a 2006 sonata. It has 55,000 miles on it and has had no repairs. It is a great car

Reply to
Robert E. Ford