Re: When are you too old to drive?

Judging by the list of newsgroups this crap was spammed to and the fake

> return address, it appears that the real point of this post is to piss off > as many people as possible. This is TROLL, nothing more.

Cross Posting removed Sure, but was designed to PO a lot of people, but just scanning over it, there was some element of truth. At some point the elderly should be re-tested. I've seen first hand a few that should not be on the road. They are a danger to themselves and others.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski
"

Ed, of course you're right. Yet I think people need to allow for some behaviors that aren't their cup of tea. Going 25 in a 30 zone is not a crime....people rush too much in their vehicles, putting people at risk imo.

Now a lead foot od-timer would really be a danger!

Reply to
Darby OGill

Not so bad on a city street, but they sometimes do it on the highway. The problem is if the driver cannot react fast enough, even at 25, if a child runs out in the street. At a nearby medical center I've seen oldsters that could barely walk get into a car and drive off. Going slow is not a problem, not being able to stop certainly is. One old guy, at least 85, had to have the nurse walk him out holding his arm, had to help him get a coat on, and then he got into a car. Scary to see it happen.

As I get older myself, I have mixed thoughts. One day I want to be able to get to the store. Will I be safe?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I agree completely. It's one of the reasons that I refuse to join the AARP (they've been sending me applications since I was 45), as they oppose every attempt to impose sensible testing requirements on seniors. I'm reminded of that every time I see some senior citizen driving half on the shoulder (very scary for cyclists), rolling right through red lights/stop signs or constantly crossing the middle line on corners.

I value my independence as much as the next person, but I hope I'll have the sense to realize when I'm no longer safe to be on the roads. It should be at least 25 years before that's even an issue.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

That's true, but in many areas, speed limits are set artificially low and drivers know that they can exceed them by say, 10 mph, with impunity. The traffic typically flows at that higher speed and someone driving at or below the speed limit becomes a hazard. If speed limits were set sensibly - based on the 75th percentile as they once were - drivers would feel less need to exceed them and police would be less tolerant of speeders.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Personally, it shouldn't have to depend on one's sense. And I certainly shouldn't have to depend on someone else's sense. There should be a competency test every 5 years or so up until age 60 and then maybe 2 years thereafter until 80 and then every year then. If you pass the test you keep driving. If you fail you don't.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Something my drivers ed teacher told me that have have always remebered " Leave yourself and out " and " Keep your eye on the other guy and expect him to do something stupid ! " I have remembered this and have used it for over

40 years of driving with not 1 accident and only 1 speeding ticket in those 40 years !!!

']['unez

Reply to
']['unez

You just jeopardized everything by mentioning it. Good luck! :D -

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins