XM Radio

The Hyundai web site is saying that the Sonata without the XM radio is "limited availability". Does that mean that they are only making them now with the XM radio as standard equipment? They raised the price $150. Can you still get FM on the XM radio. What if you don't want a XM radio? Has anyone been in a showroom lately and seen only the XM radio? thanx

Reply to
Partner

All Hyundai will have XM as standard equipment going forward. If you don't want XM you just don't resubscribe when your free period is over.

I cannot imagine why anyone would buy a car and NOT want the XM subscription (it is the best $13/month a person can spend). But it is your choice whether or not to resubscribe at the end of the 3-month promo period.

It doesn't affect your ability to get FM or AM; you still get them -- you just have an additional band for XM.

Reply to
NoDownTime

I cannot imagine why anyone would buy a car and NOT want the XM

Three reasons

1) $150 extra for radio 2) $13 month 3) I don't listen to radio.
Reply to
Partner

I'm not sure if the $150 is actually for the radio or not -- since they are moving to std equipment I assume this is going to be part of the base price of the vehicle at some point.

A lot of people have a different attitude once they try it. It isn't like "radio" as you know it. And much cheaper to operate than an Ipod (and has better music, to boot)....

Anyway, I think by '08 all Hyundais will have XM as std equipment.

Reply to
NoDownTime

a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@73g2000cwn.googlegroups.com...

With MP3 capable radios, I don't need satellite radio... I record what I want on a CD, and have about 500 songs that I choose on it... better than any radio

Shaman

Reply to
Shaman

Not even close. I have an 80GB Ipod that is nearly full -- 20K tracks and counting. And I would give it up long before giving up XM. You just cannot begin to get the depth and range of music out of an Ipod you can get out of XM. XM's music library is approaching 3 million tracks and they aren't afraid to use them. That's just the music.

Plus, everytime you [legally] download a single CD, you're paying for a full month's worth of XM. And the music is only half of it -- the news, sports, etc., are just that much more to choose from.

Some people are comfortable with a few hundred or even a few thousand tracks on an Ipod. XM gives you what the Ipod can't -- a virtually unlimited selection of music without having to guess what you will like and not like before buying it. I understand the Ipod argument, but only from those who haven't tried XM. I don't know of anyone who has had XM then given it up for an Ipod.

Reply to
NoDownTime

We pay for cable TV, we pay for HD TV, we pay for internet access, we pay for faster internet access, we pay for cell phones, I'm just not ready to start putting out another $13 a month for radio. An XM won't have my local news. The technology of all of this is very interesting but right now, I feel it is just nibbling at my wallet a bit too much.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

For sure, a lot of people feel that way. The monthly payments are hitting people from all sides.

Even though most days I'm not in the car (I have two XM subscriptions in my home, two in my cars plus one Sirius), on those days when I do drive, it really makes for a different experience -- mostly, because it isn't at all like traditional "radio". Most of the major problems with radio are solved by XM -- for example, driving out of range of the stations you like, or not being able to find something you want to listen to, static, or whatever. I admit I have little interest in local news, however.

It isn't for everyone I'm sure -- but it is one of those things that, once you've really experienced it it is pretty tough to live without. I do believe I could give up my cellphone before I could give up XM in my car. LOL.

For me, though, it is actually a "money-saver" -- before I had XM, I would spend at least $100/month on CDs, and often more. These days, I probably don't buy more than a couple of CDs (or downloaded CDs) a year. After getting XM I quickly realized they were a waste of money.

All the new Hyundais (as well of lots of other cars) are going to come with XM in them with a 3-month free trial. Right now, XM claims about

50-55% of those radios end up buying the service -- so a lot of people think it is worth the money, but not all.
Reply to
NoDownTime

The xm Radio is now standard eq, but they raised the base price by $150. go to their web site and see for yourself.

Reply to
Partner

a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

But WHO choose them?? On my MP3 CD's, I record what I want, not what whoever wants to broadcast on the satellite radio.

Sure... but when I pay for a download, I have those songs on a cd >>FOR LIFEthe news, sports, etc., are just that much more to choose from.

That's a good point...

Well, evrybody have their own opinion...

And here, in Canada, I think Sirius satellite radio is better than XM because of the prices.With Sirius, we can have a lifetime subscription for

549.99 CDN$, I think this is a great deal...
Shaman
Reply to
Shaman

Sure, I do that, too, sometimes. And when I want to hear a particular piece of music, I can play it from my IPod. But don't you tire of listening to the same old crap on your Ipod? I certainly do. I hear stuff on XM I could never hope to discover on my own. Just wouldn't happen.

Also, the exclusive content at XM is stuff that can't be had anywhere else [legally]. Hell, Bob Dylan's show alone is worth $13/month. But the live at XM performances, alternate takes of popular music (which helps to keep it interesting even after you've heard it a million times), and interview shows all add to it -- and all stuff you just can't get anywhere else.

We do listen to the news channels a lot in the car.

If there were no XM, I would still have Sirius. But not so much for the music. Sirius music really IS about like having an Ipod -- the depth of the music is about like FM, for the most part, and I don't find anything there that really interests me. If I listen to the Sirius blues channel, I can pretty much go to Best Buy and find most of what they play on the rack. Same with Classical and other genres. On Xm's corresponding channels, you get stuff that is hard/impossible to find.

For example, go to ITunes and search for the composer "Haydn" -- one of the more prolific composers in classical music. It is amazing just how little stuff they have there.

I think everyone has to do what works for them, but I would not buy a car without XM just like I wouldn't buy one without air conditioning. And I wouldn't buy one planning to add a plug-n-play receiver to it, either -- I don't want extra boxes hanging on my dash.

My wife is wanting a Santa Fe and we decided to wait until the XM is std equip on them to buy.

Reply to
NoDownTime

I certainly would. I've bought albums and one or two songs are great, the other 9 are mediocre at best. If I can buy exactly what I want, there is no need to fast forward through the others.

I agree about the extra boxes hanging about. OTOH, how many subscriptions do you have/need? Two cars and the house is about $28 a month. I'd be more inclined if I could have a more portable license that would allow me to listen on any device rather than have the radio registered. Could be easily done with a plug in card.

I have to wonder if someone will come along with a free setup with commercials, just like broadcast, only satellite. Sort of like the superstations of years ago. I do have a couple of issues with local reception, but what I want to listen to is not on XM or Sirius so they don't solve the problem, just offer an alternative that I don't want most of the time.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

XM has what they call a "minituner" which is a credit-card sized thing you can move around -- you can plug it in your home stereo, in a plug-n-play, and they have hinted that we'll see a plug in slot for it in cars, as well. Audiovox has or will shortly have a headunit for a car that supports this. XM's Inno is close to this functionality now, as it is quite small -- but again, who wants an extra box hanging on the dash. But these things take a couple years to integrate into OEM systems.

Another aspect of it is that XM is really pushing its "data services"

-- so that navigation systems can have realtime traffic and weather information and other things (like locating empty parking spaces and in-car messaging).

I don't think the ad-supported version will be coming anytime soon (in fact, Sirius is threatening to raise its subscription prices now). Worldspace (satellite radio everywhere but in North America) tried ad-supported, and it was a terrific flop.

I think you mentioned local news. I doubt if they'll ever have that (XM had discussed picking up about 6-8 large regional stations run by clear channel, but for whatever reason that didn't happen). For local coverage, AM/FM is still going to be the best route to go. My interest in satellite is solely as an entertainment form (with national news content, of course).

Reply to
NoDownTime