XM-Satellite Is Coming Soon To A High-Priced Luxury Car Not For You

One thing about Hyundai: They ain't gonna make XM-satellite standard in the Elantra etal later this year.

Thank goodness, because that would be spoiling the customers, plus the Delphic Parts Oracle frowns upon non-austerity, plus I'd rather listen to local radio commercials interrupted by inane chatter and occasional music, plus why give people the option, plus ...I'm kidding:

HYUNDAI IN LATER 2006 IS REPORTEDLY MAKING XM-SATELLITE COMPONENTS STANDARD; and I presume one will have to pay that $13 a month subscription or whatever if one wants his satellite radio components activated.

Reply to
Robert Cohen

why pay for radio??????????

Reply to
nothermark

I agree. Personally I'd like to see the concept fall flat on it's face. If nothing else, it would be nice to see Howard Stern out of a job. ;-)

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

If you ever move to a small town (Think Mid West) where there may only be 2 or 3 radio stations, paying 13 a month seems like a small price. Plus if you are a trucker that does not want to retune your radio every 2 or so hours this is a small price.

Am I saying XM or Sirrus(Howard Sterns keeper) is good for everyone? Nope, I live in Baltimore/DC area and have at least 20 stations to choose from. But there are plenty who do want it. My Brother in law likes XM, he drives

35 minutes to work each way and he likes the fact that for 35 minutes all he hears is music. I can't say the same, I drive 60 minutes to work and if I hear 35 minutes of music I have done well. Traditional radio makes money from commercials, this means less music more crap. XM is paid for Mostly(some have commercials) by subscriptions so commercials are not an issue.

I have had XM, and I did not prefer their formats but that's me. My brother in law loves it and has yet to use his FM or AM in his car.

To each their own...

Reply to
Matthew Rebbert

Please don't top-post. Message rearranged and trimmed for easier reading.

I asked this in this froup a while back, and someone said, "How are you going to get local traffic info and weather without a radio of some sort?" Now, you don't need pay services for local traffic and weather, but if you want traffic, weather, and music, it gets more complex. (I don't care too much about traffic and weather, because here in southern Michigan 1.5 hours from Detroit, traffic is not a problem, and blizzards are too wimpy for weather to be very relevant.)

  1. 1 reasonable CD-RW drive:
  2. Spindle of CD-Rs:
  3. Ripping+encoding music you already have: time
  4. Songs from iTunes or whatever: roughly /song
  5. Songs from your local friendly P2P network: time
  6. Burning mix CDs from songs obtained in steps 2-4: time

...so for a minimal investment + time, you don't need monthly subscription fees in order to listen to nothing but music you like. Heck, most consumer-level x86s and Macs have CD-RWs now, so the investment is even more minimal than I outlined above.

The first (and last) time I used my car radio was during the huge blackout several years ago. CD-Rs, tapes, and iPod + cassette adapter mean it's all music, all the time in my car.

In the early days of cable TV, commercials on cable TV were pretty infrequent "because subscribers pay fees, we don't need commercials." Things are different now. Look for more XM stations to add commercials, as they try to maximize revenue. If one of XM or Sirius goes belly-up, all stations on the surviving satellite radio provider will have commercials in a very short time. That's just the way it goes, I think.

Reply to
Dances With Crows

all I hear is music too.. its called a CD player which all Hyundais come with and most play MP3's or WMA files. thats about 180 songs per CD.. have

10 CDs in my Santa Fe.. thats approx 1800 songs.. no brainer there. WHO needs radio..;-)

Pete...

Reply to
Pete & Cindy

I'm pretty sure that most of the people on which you've imposed YOUR opinion of how to post on Usenet did not appreciate it. Looking at your posting history, you've provided more information on how to post according to your standards than useful information in your responses. Case in point here. A buck a tune or around $10-$13 a disk adds up to $13 (the monthly fee) pretty quickly. Unless of course, they heed your suggestion and pirate the music. There's good things, not so good things, and bad things about both - Sirius and XM. The issues are well known. You on the other hand just decided to pop up out of the woodwork and start issuing posting instructions to a regular poster in a newsgroup that you haven't contributed to in over a year.

00000000 Some people post top. 00000001 Some people post bottom. 00000010 Some people delete (usually, like this guy does) the older stuff. 00000011 Some people interleave - sometimes. 00000100 Some people should just be told to 11110000. ; )
Reply to
A Hyundai Owner

Dances With Crows wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@samantha.crow.dyndns.org:

Please don't make typographical errors. They are very annoying to read.

Reply to
Eric G.

I guess it comes down to what works for you. Freedom of choice and all that. My CD collection isn't that large and I really don't like deciding whether I want to download a particular song. With XM I'm continually hearing songs I haven't heard in years. I'm prepaid for next next couple of years, so my daily cost is about 30 cents. Well worth it for me.

IMHO the XM traffic channel is almost useless. I live near Boston and it's clear that the traffic reporters don't understand how the highways they are reporting on are related. Opie & Anthony can be funny, but their schtick gets old quickly.

Reply to
Raoul

re: radio & other audio phenomena

Y'all are too young for the Golden age of Radio.

I am now ...uh..can't recall.. uh...61.

A grandpa who had luved late 1940s and 1950s radio programs, which I can recite commercials and so forth.

And I've been thru the talk, rock, folk-sing, hillbilly, jazz and classical formats: So, I'm not anti-music, except for rap, which is ....uh...semi-terrific political doggerel/bad poetry.

I now hardly listen to radio, except NPR sometimes, but when they do the annoying pledge drives....buh-byuh.

So, we listen-to audio book cassettes and c.d. book cassettes now.

Too dumb to download 'em from internet chiseling/gray area sites, so just borrow 'em from public libraries.

Mostly detective fiction, Grisham, John Sandford, James Patterson, and many other who-dunnits.

So, when travelling now, it's no more singing along with 30 year old Eagles etal albums.

Well, an ole Carly Simon we might listen to.

And to heck with XM & Sirius: They'll please combine 'em if they want my subscription.

Because I've had it with 8-track, Sony Betamax, and other such obsoletes.

Sirius and/or XM won't survive: They should please merge, and perhaps sell Class B stock to their listeners/loyal "owners" if ya get my self-interest drift.

People will simply not gladly pay that $13 a month--plus for components, and so we gotta be persuaded that sat radio is truly/inherently in our self-interests, which it is, including

old radio programs, college stations, CSPAN, NPR, local & network tv news, Pacifica, comedy, HOWARD's awful s**te, etal.

But if ya really like the current local schlocky/garbagey radio, then save the $13 for gas, cholesterol burgers, house payments, lotto tickets et cetera.

Reply to
Robert Cohen

Amen to your definition of rap. I see the ONLY difference between rap and crap is the "c".

Reply to
Dan

The Dan entity posted thusly:

I like the music OK, it's just the annoying guys talking over top of it that ruin it.

Reply to
Oleg Lego