XM Satellite radio in Jeep Liberty

I am planning to get a new Liberty next model year. I see on the Jeep website that Daimler-Chrysler has an exclusive with Sirius Satellite Radio, but I currently have XM-Radio, and prefer it after sampling both online. Anyone have any experience with installing an XM capable radio into a Liberty? Crutchfield does not list anything as compatible direct dash replacements for the Libby. Does the 6 disc AM/FM model Jeep radio have separate input/output jacks so I can direcly connect the XM output without having to use an FM Modulator? I wish Daimler-Chrysler would give consumers a choice and offer a choice between XM & Sirius compatible radios, but I guess they got a deal with Sirius to be an exclusive. Your comments are appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
QX

My personal experience is only what I can offer and most if it may be of little help to you. I do not know if there are jacks in the back, but there is nothing in the front. The Sirius is built in, in as far as being one of the selections on the 'mode' button.

The 6 disk unit is able to swap from one Jeep to another. I took mine from my 06 liberty when I traded it in on my 06 Rubicon, it was a direct swap, no alterations of any kind were needed. "Prug and Pray"

I hope that you DO get the information, and when you do, PLEASE post it in a thread. When my Sirius free year runs out, I will likely make the switch too. We have only Satellite TV out here in the boonies, and get XM as a part of our package, it is MUCH better than Sirius I think.

I agree, I think DC should give us a choice or the ability to easily make the switch.

Best of luck to you!

Kate

Reply to
Kate

I live in the relative boonies too, and have satellite TV. My TV has Sirius on it, and I had XM in the car. I like the music programming on Sirius better. Basically, my experience is precisely ooposite of yours.

Nobody gives the choice. When you elect to buy a new car, the car maker signs a contract with satellite providers that locks you into either Sirius or XM.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I'm a fan of XM too. I know XM sells modules that plug into head units that are XM/Sirrius ready. Maybe you could plug an XM module into a Sirrius ready radio?

That make way too much sense to be possible... some bureaucrat somewhere stopped that from happening..

Reply to
Eric

That would be quite cool.

If I remember, next time I am at the dealership, I will ask.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

I just traded my 01 XJ in on an 06 TJ 65th Anniversary Edition with Sirius already installed. Just a month before trading I purchased the Roady XT XM receiver to go in the XJ and was really disappointed in the fidelity of the sound. I tried using the FM station and the cassette, too. Both means sound the same... very mono! A couple of the commercial stations sounded good, but no where as good as DirecTV's feed of XM. The Sirius unit in my new TJ sounds GREAT! I have really enjoyed having the selection that comes with Sirius, more than I thought I would originally... hence the purchase of the XM to begin with. I would suggest giving a Sirius a try if you buy one pre-installed. You will most likely get a free year of service... don't trust the online samples. Their sound is totally dependent on your connection to the web. Avoid Howard Stern's channels though... it's 10X worse that E!'s programming.

QX wrote:

Reply to
JeepXJ

Hi Kate, I always wondered this, not having it: How do they know when your subscription runs out? Does the unit just turn off or something? What happens/how does this work? Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Motor Trend's September 2006 issue which had the 2007-2008 new cars all listed within says this for the Scion xA: "Cool Fact: Seeking to please radioheads of all stripes, Scion offers the xA with either Sirius or XM Satellite systems." Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Hi You, Ya know... I just don't know. Particularly in my situation.

It goes like this. I bought the Liberty, activated the radio. It has a specific number on/in it and they have you press a key combination to get it when you register. Then they do something at the Satellite service location that turns it on to receive more than just their promo channel.

Ok, so THAT stereo unit's cd changer went bad and was replaced on warranty. I never activated the new one, but it works. Then, the Rooobeee- kahn came with a single disc changer and I wanted the 6 disk. The dealership asked me if I would let them just put the one in from my liberty. I agreed since it was only about a week or two old. Again, it still got the signal with no action taken from me.

Since the first one was returned I have been unable to login to my Sirius account (they give you one free year with the purchase of the vehicle) with my old information.

I'm hoping that somehow it slipped through the cracks. That would be less than honest I know, but I'd still love a free subscription. I guess if it stops working, I'll find out soon enough!

Actually, now that I think of it, when I activated the first one, they asked me for billing information. Name address and so on. So they must have some sort of record keeping and then the ability to contact the radio via satellite (like DishNet TV) to turn it off.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Thanks - murky at best. I just wonder how exactly they do it and keep track of what to turn off and how to do it. I keep wondering. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Reply to
FrankW

That is a new development. My brother has a Scion tC with XM as the only supported factory option.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Yeah, it surprised me too when I read that a couple of days ago. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Hey thanks Frank, much appreciated. I thought it would be the same scheme for both satellite thingies. Now I know. One less mystery in my world.... Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Unknown... Like I said, prolly like the satellite TV people.

Reply to
Kate

I'm glad to hear your experience on this, it makes me feel a little less like the grass is greener on the other side of the - err - satellite...???

Reply to
Kate

The radio has a serial number, the satellite company knows the serial numbers of all of the units that paid the subscription fee. If the fee is not paid, they tell the satellite to not include the serial number in its scrambling algorithm. When this happens, your receiver does not receive anymore.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Well there we have it and this makes perfect sense to me. Thanks Jeff.

Reply to
Tomes