1985 Isuzu Pup Question

Hi I have a question I am new to the whole Isuzu thing I just recently purchased a older pickup truck and the speedometer is not working I am wondering if anyone has changed this and is it easy I have the Chilton and Haynes books but I cannot find any info on how to fix it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
lordbuggin_2000

Are you sure it is the speedo itself that is faulty? I'm not certain... but most older speedo's are cable-driven from a small gear in the transmission. Frequently that small, plastic, gear strips out over the miles and years.

Also... the cable can corrode and break.

BuddyWh >Hi I have a question I am new to the whole Isuzu thing I just recently

Reply to
BuddyWh

I recently removed the instrument cluster in my '83 to replace the bulbs. It was not hard at all. I agree with BuddyWh, you will need to determine if the problem is actually your speedometer, or if it is the cable.

Does the odometer work? Do you have a replacement speedomter/odometer, or are you planning to replace the whole cluster?

You may want to post your question over at htttp://

I run this site for Isuzu Pup owners.

Jack

Reply to
JR

So can you just replace the plastic part or do you have to replace the whole cable and piece. Because I found a section in my books where it shows how to replace what they call the speed sensor is this the same thing??

Reply to
Mike

Mike,

Congrats on your new purchase. I recently pulled the instrument cluster on my '84 P'up to replace some lights. It's not hard at all.

I agree with BuddyWh, it may not be the speedometer. Does your odometer work? (In not, it's more likely the cable, not the speedometer).

I don't know what the speed sensor is, but I suspect it's part of the speedometer assembly inside the cluster. This is an all-mechanical unit, unlike newer vehicles. I have the factory shop manual for my '83, and I'll look this up for you when I'm at home.

Or, you may want to post your questions over at the IsuzuPup.com forum

I run this site for owners of IsuzuPickups, primarily the '81-'87 models. We have a very active forum. Jack

Reply to
JR

Okay thanks I will check it out and ya any help is very appreciated. Oh and no the speed thing doesn't tell me how fast I am going and the odometer does not work either so I guess from what everyone says it's probably the cable. So in that case is it very hard to replace the cable??? Do I need to jack up the truck and go under to the transmission I assume. Thanks again everyone

Reply to
Mike