1995 Passport - Overheating after Timing belt tensioner change -- belts removal/installation

I think I'm overheating because the alternator belt is too loose. Is this a correct assumption, or is it one of the other two belts under the hood?

Unfortunately, it's raining like a mother here (Oregon) tonight, with 75mph winds to boot. So I have time to ask for advice. :)

Aaron

Reply to
ajpdla

Only a slipping belt connected to the water pump can make a car overheat.

Alternater belt slippage would cause charging problems AC belt slippage would only squeal while the AC is running.

Timing belt off a tooth could make car overheat as it was have some interesting effects on valve timing and possibly ignition timing.

Reply to
TCS

I am unsure as to whether the alternator belt also has anything to do with the water pump. But I did have to take off all three belts (power steering, AC, alternator) to get at the timing belt tensioner. Did not replace the timing belt at all, just removed the tensioner and replaced with new one. Timing belt never went slack enough to jump teeth.

Also, the car only seems to overheat while at idle. I noticed it on the way home (6 miles). When I was driving the temp gauge read lower than when I arrived at my driveway and idled, whereupon it went right to red.

All I need now is the rain to stop long enough for me to deal with it. :) That won't happen, though, as we get 120+ inches a year here; so we're in for it for the next few days.

Thanks.

Aaron

Reply to
ajpdla

ah hah! fan belt! I forgot about them; it's been so long since I had a car that had one.

Sounds like there isn't enough air moving through the radiator when you're stopped. If you've an electric fan, make sure it comes on.

Sounds like it shooting to red a bit too fast; wiring short?

Have you ever replaced the thermostat? If you haven't and the car is more than

6 years old, then do it just for the hell of it. They're cheap and it may solve your problem.
Reply to
TCS

Reply to
Steve
[Also, the car only seems to overheat while at idle. I noticed it on the way home (6 miles). When I was driving the temp gauge read lower than when I arrived at my driveway and idled, whereupon it went right to red.]

From the abovementioned fact, It is most likely that your cooling system is in poor condition, it only depends upon fast driving wind to cool off your radiator, forget about belts, just have a thorough check of the cooling system.

"ajpdla" ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D : snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
¤jº~¥Á±Ú