98 V-6 4WD Auto Trans Rodeo

I recently purchased the afomentioned Rodeo (it has 155M miles) It runs very well and starts easily. We just drove it 1500 miles over desert and mountains doing 75 on toll roads, and only used one quart oil. My question is the apparent lag at very slow speeds between the acclerator and the trans. When starting out and in a slow speed situation like almost stopping and then accelerating there seems to be this lag. Almost like slack in the throttle linkage. when letting off the throttle at a very low speed it's like a disconnect in the drive train.

Could this be the tranny? Or is this just a quirk of the car?

thanks for any help, Jim

Reply to
Jaime

The trans is French isnt it? I have also noticed that my 96 trans just doesnt respond like I would like or am used to with my Chevy. These things are pretty much electronic now and I wish that manufacturers would allow the end use to modify the shifting patterns with a laptop to suit themselves or perhaps add a simple downshift button on the steering wheel or stick. Mine does have POWER shifting mode but i dont really notice anything much different after selecting it. It doesnt seem to effect the downshift points like I would like, it only seems ot keep the lower gears in gear longer which is useful when pulling.

Your 98 should have POWER button on it? Use it. I wonder if someone has a system out to re-teach the trans?

Jaime wrote:

Reply to
Kaz

In the 93-94 Troopers I've driven, the "power" mode only makes the transmission hold a little longer before upshifting...otherwise, it's no different.

In our 2002 Trooper, it makes a big difference - not only will it hold a little longer, it will downshift more quickly if you punch it.

Perhaps the Rodeo's changed at some point as well. I'm guessing the Trooper changed when they went to the 3.5 v6 and new tranny in 98.

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley

The only thing power shift does is keep the trnas out of 4 overdrive for climbing hills and such

Reply to
David Naylor

If the "power drive" works like it does in the Troopers, I can give some insight... The older ones (like our 94 Trooper) it just holds lower gears a little longer. Doesn't seem to downshift any more quickly. In the newer 02 Trooper, it holds gears longer, and also downshifts more quickly. I just leave it in power drive... I once had to punch it to get some speed quickly to merge and it just sat there for a while until it finally decided maybe it should downshift and then took off...power drive cures that problem. Plus, it's nicer when towing, which we do a bit of. Seems like if you're easy on it in PD mode, it would actually do better on gas mileage as it keeps it from upshifting too quickly and working the engine hard in a higher gear...?

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley