'99 Trooper Auto Transmission Clunk/Jolt

we are original owners of Trooper w/55,000 miles. Beginning about 10 days ago when we start it up in the morning get a clunk/jolt when it shifts the lower gears - after about 45 mph or so don't feel it. Very irractic - 2x last week, 3x this week. When I start it anywhere from 1 hour or more afterwards it runs smoothly. I have appt. to take to dealer tomorrow. I've heard of this problem in Rodeos (I had two before I got my Trooper). Of course, my 60/60 warranty expired this month. Has anyone had a similar issue?

Reply to
Skipper

milesh

actually we had fluid changed at first sign of it - the dealer asked me today if the rpms spiked when it jerked - said it could be one of two problems depending upon that. The rpms do not spike. Checked my glovebox and my warranty doesn't expire until 7/31!!! thanks for your input and we'll post our answer.

Reply to
Skipper

This does not address Skipper's question, but I had to say something about "'make good' money". Having worked for manufacturers and dealers and being responsible for dealers warranty expense $ month-by-month, neither manufacturers nor importers give any dealer money to take care of problems. Dealers can earn financial assistance from the manufacturer based on the dealers past warranty expense control ,i.e. maintaining an average cost per vehicle serviced as compared with the other dealers in the country or region. Stay below the average cost per vehicle serviced and they are in the manufacturers good graces, above it and they get little or no assistance to help their customer. Keep in mind that the dealer can go out on a limb when offering a 'goodwill' repair as the manufacturers rep usually reviews the claim after the repair or replacement is done and can deny it if he or she does not believe the goodwill gesture was a good business decision for the manufacturer. In that case the dealer loses all he 'invested' in that customer. In Skipper's case, if he did not purchase the vehicle at the dealer in question or has not been a regular guest at their service facility, he would have a better chance with customer relations. Get out the oil change receipts! note: Isuzu no longer has a goodwill policy.

"milesh" wrote in message news:cebjuv$ snipped-for-privacy@dispatch.concentric.net... > When was the last time you changed the tranny fluid? If the dealer does > determine its a tranny problem talk to the service manager nicely and > have them contact Isuzu. Two things may occur here. Isuzu may pay for > it anyways since it failed only 1 month past the warranty, or two, the > service manager may make use of their 'make-good' money and fix it > anyways. Manufactures give dealerships some money each month to use as > consumer goodwill repairs. It is at their own discretion how to use it. >

2x > > last week, 3x this week. When I start it anywhere from 1 hour or more > > afterwards it runs smoothly. I have appt. to take to dealer tomorrow. > > I've heard of this problem in Rodeos (I had two before I got my Trooper). > > Of course, my 60/60 warranty expired this month. Has anyone had a similar > > issue? > > >
Reply to
Joe D

Possibly this varies between manufactures. Three dealers (two Nissan, One Dodge) all stated they receive some money from the manufacture to deal with unusual problems as they see fit. Either they do get the money or 3 service managers lied. I see no benifit to them for doing so.

Reply to
Miles

I have the problem now, does anyone know the cause and the solution?

Reply to
abbott