YJ Transmission Problem

95 YJ 2.5 5 spd 100K - and I'm 3 month newbie jeep owner.

2 days ago, driving on the highway at 60 mph in 5th gear 2wd, seemed to "freewheel" for about 2 seconds and then re-engage. I looked in the rear view to see if I had just gone over a patch of ice, didn't see anything. Then I heard the sound - whirring, grinding, clunking. Downshifted and slowed and the noise quieted, I was at an exit so I got off. I was less than a mile from home so I drove it home using all but

5th, heard an occasional clunk when stopping. Went out this morning drove it around the block and parked it. I have all gears and 4wd but when I shift into 5th (I only did this briefly) it does the whirring, grinding, clunking thing.

Just posing the "what would you do next, if it were yours" question? Repair / Replace? I have Jeep salvage yard - yup nothing but Jeeps - nearby. $575 for trans out of 94 or 95 YJ when he has them.

And from the "Nothing's so bad that it can't get worse" department, we are expected big snow here in PA tomorrow.

Thanks in advance, Steve

Reply to
Steve Landis

Mine does the same in addtion to some sync problems with 3rd gear. I have to double clutch alot. Resulting in the clunking sound you mentioned when stopped. Anyway i would drain inspect and replace the gear oil. If it's contaimintaed by something like water or some peices of metal that might have built up in there over the years that might solve the problem. Something i need to do myself. Other that that i don't know. Make sure and get the correct gear oil, wrong gear oil will really screw it up.

As of now i have no money to fix mine, so i don't use 5th gear esp in traffic. Mine only sounds bad when i let off the gas in 5th around 50 or 60. I have to keep it about 65 or use 4th and go 60. Mines been doing this for quite a while, hasen't got any worse.

-Brian

91 YJ 4.0

Reply to
Brian

Yeah.. I know the feeling also.. 4th gear synchros are out in mine... I have to double clutch to get into 4th.. So mostly I shift from 3rd to 5th... It has been like that for me for about.. hmm.. 2 maybe 3 years.. It still works... No problems... But I agree with Brian.. Change the gear oil and check for water and metal...

Ben

95 YJ 2.5L
Reply to
Ben

Just changed all the fluids. Is the suggestion that I lost the 5th gear synchro???

Steve

Reply to
Steve Landis

mine... I have

mentioned when

briefly) it

question?

department, we

Reply to
1BADYJ

Synchros have a function while shifting _up_? I thought that synchro rings were to bring the engine-side of the next lowest gear up to drive shaft speed while shifting _down_, that's what double-clutching does. Double-clutching going up is going to spin the gear faster than the drive shaft.

I'm not a transmission guy, but I'm guessing that a gear that makes noise when the wheels are pushing the engine has a problem someplace other than the synchros.

-- "I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with whips....r" R. H. Draney recalls AFU in the Good Old Days.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
MudPuppy76

Nope!

God Bless America, ßill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
"MudPuppy76

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Steve Landis

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I believe you might be right. Here is what Jasper wants for a remanufactured AX5. Ouch!

Find A Price Results Jeep | 1995 | Wrangler | SE | 5955050 This unit is NOT supplied with the shift tower. (See picture in computer catalog). Notes: Assy/code: 52108049 UNIT IS A 5 SPEED MANUAL END LOADED 5 SPEED ALUMINUM CASE IS 7 3/4" LONG.

4 BOLTS HOLD SHIFTER IN PLACE 3 PIECE CASE-FRONT HALF,CAST SPACER AND REAR HALF. The Price Is: $2248.00 Core Deposit For This Unit Is: $500.00 Skid Deposit For This Unit Is: $50.00 Sold On An Exchange Basis w/Jasper Receiving Old Unit As A Core. In Stock: Yes

Reply to
Steve Landis

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Will Honea

You can fix this for like $25 and a day in the shop on your back. The 5th gear is held on the output shaft by a snap ring, which has broken and let the gear move out of position. It can be fixed with the tranny still in the Jeep. It'll take a snap ring and a couple of seals to do the job. Google search this group for a post titled "WTF happened to 5th Gear" with me as the author.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLTC 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep Wrangler YJ TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51, SPUNGER#2

Reply to
Old Crow

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

MudPuppy76

Thanks I'll start there.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Landis

Damn, Bill, you make it too easy for some of these guys.