I know '88 troops but how about newer ones?

I had a couple (88 &89) troopers and the problems and the rust (and the love - off road and dependable). So I am looking south to rust free (or should I say salt free ) areas mid west and maybe florida??

Anyway - I found a 96 luxury for $2500 and I think that might be worth a plane ride down and then drive the beast bak (to Toronto). My questions are -are the later '90s troopers pretty easy to work on? Am I asking for a heap of pain? Are there years to avoid? I know the late eighties 2.6 4 cyl was to be avoided but I bought a couple, did the heads - it was a drag but I had some fun I can tell you. Now I want some more fun but a little more comfort.

What say you?

Jim in toronto

Reply to
jsn-to

having also driven and worked on a few 92-96 troopers in s.florida, my suggestion is to locate a single owner car where you can verify each part replaced and history of the car - these have been the best performers and assurance the cars were not abused

I know or several instances of people paying USD 4500 to 5500 for a 92 or 93 model with 65000 to 85000 miles where the cars had original paint (kept in a garage), all major a/c components replaced with original parts (compressor, evap, condenser), entire front-end serviced (boots, half-axles, hubs) and the overall condition of the engine was "so clean you could eat off it..."

you may think they overpaid by 2000 or more but they got cars that have needed almost zero repairs (one needed a starter at a cost of $130) and only regular oil changes.

Reply to
gbr

I have a 2001 Trooper and would highly recommend that you avoid them like the plague. ~GJ~

Reply to
Gemini Jackson

Florida isn't rust free at all. The salty humid air is tough on cars.

If you want totally rust free then go to the dry southwest states. Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico etc. Stay away from snowy areas where salt is used. In the mountains of Arizona only sand and cinder ash is used in the winters. Never salt.

Reply to
miles

having lived here 45 years and 20 years outside of s.florida, I would kindly disagree

none of my cards with 10-15 years of driving have rust, anywhere, top or bottom

Reply to
gbr

..hmmpff... make that cars too :)

Reply to
gbr

I agree, Florida cars hold up very well over the years. We have great - salt free roads. Most SUV owners never go off road, unless the street is under repair on the way to the mall.

Reply to
David

Why do you say that? I've got a 2002 that has done very well thus far. Of course it only has 33k miles on it so far....

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley

Hi: I had a 89 trooper, very reliable, extreme and heavy off road work here in Baja Mexico (I'm wildlife biologist), alway I was happy returning to my home on it, driving on streets or highway with family. Just to get a new model, but with some fear, I bought a 95 trooper, I've had it for 6 moths and I'm more happy now, it is good on off roads: smooth drive and some more roomy interior, is better on highway too. Here is very "rusty" habitat for cars, until now I haven't see any little rust on my trooper. Go, see and buy a good one of this japaamerican trucks!!! good luck.

Reply to
troptroop

Depends on where you live. Anywhere in the country near the ocean is going to have more corrosion than a car in hot and dry Arizona. Anywhere humid is going to have more corrosion. Rust that shows itself through the paint etc. is rare. I only see that in states that salt their roads in the winter.

Reply to
miles

My 2001 had 160K on it when I FINALLY traded it in a few days ago. Every light on the dash was on despite my best efforts of replacing nearly all the usual suspects under the hood. Autozones diagnostic kept giving the egr valve error even though I'd just replaced it and had the codes cleared several times. Had to spend 2K on a new transmission just to sell it. Only got 2K for the trade in to boot and owed 6K. It's an understatement to say I did not enjoy my trooper experience. There's more than enough info online about how the 3.5's use oil. I didn't do the proper research when I purchased it and accept the blame. Shame it ran me into the poorhouse to learn a lesson.

~GJ~

Reply to
Gemini Jackson