Ford Focus - How do I remove airbag

I want to remove the airbag from the steering wheel. The workshop manual says to disconect the battery and then unscrew two small bolts that are behind the steering wheel.

This looked simple until I found that my sockets wouldn't fit these bolts!

6mm : Too big 5mm : Too small.

I can't actually get a clear visual on what these bolts look like however I would have thought the workshop manual would warn me if they're unconventional.

Can anyone tell me how to remove these bolts and what socket size & type I need?

Regards

Dan

Reply to
DesperateDan

So, they might be 5.5mm?

I would hope a workshop would have the unusual tool sizes for those awkward jobs! After all, for the DIY enthusiast, a special tool might be an unreasonable outlay for a one-off job, but for a garage the same tool might get used weekly.

HTH

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Morton

They're torx bolts. Can't remember off hand what size they are though. Most likely 25 or 30.

Reply to
moray

be VERY careful - one of the few jobs avoided if you're not 100% confident, air bags have killed people sitting too close to the wheel so .......

Reply to
lurkio

Reply to
malc

Would you mind telling us the reason for removing the airbag? It might be easier/safer just removing the steering wheel.

Reply to
History

Nah. Detonate remotely while a passer by goes past the car, for added effect. You don't really need an airbag, do you.

Reply to
antonyf

Seriously mate, if you aren't prepared enough to do your homework on what is required to get the airbag off, I would seriously recommend you don't go near it until you are a lot more clued up. Read the other replies on the more cautious basis.

I've done it on other cars, but made damn sure I know what I am doing before hand. Doesn't sound like that applies.

Lets say you get the wheel off and its in our hands ? Do you have any idea on how to get it off, safely without blowing your hands/face off ? Are you planning to safely locate the airbag out of harms way while you work on the vehicle or is this forward planning you have yet to think about ?

Reply to
antonyf

Probably a tamper proof security bit

redwood

you cant remove the steering wheel without removing the airbag.

you really need to know what your doing with airbag's, we have a steel cabinet at work to store ours in & data for the vehicle to be worked on, as every air bag is different, espicialy when it comes to refitting them, you have to get the clockspring alighned correctly otherwise you will knacker it !!

Reg.

Reply to
kronenburgh

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@79g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

I may have an annoying tendency to take things apart, but I would *never* mess with an airbag or other pyrotechnic device unless I knew exactly what I was doing (which I don't). A little knowledge is certainly a dangerous thing in this situation.

Stu

Reply to
Stu

Sincere thanks to those expressing concern about the hazards of airbags. Rest assured that I've done my homework.

Disappointed that no one has actually answered the question.

Anyone?

Dan

Reply to
DesperateDan

Have you tried a 5.5mm socket? That's a standard metric size.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Can you not see the post from moray dated 18.12.2006?

He told you they were Torx, either 25 or 30.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Wheels are held on with a great big nut in the middle.

Airbags sit in the middle, on the driver's side of the aforementioned great big nut.

I've not yet seen any wheel that was removable without removing the airbag first.

Airbags are also one of the safer parts of the car. Follow the simple procedure for discharging their electrical initiator (which might just be to remove the battery and wait some time) and they'll render themselves safer than a carburettor full of petrol. They're powerful, for sure, but they're also extremely insensitive to any outside trauma. Don't leave their electrics live, don't open the case to get access to the initiator, and you'll have no problems.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

This thread got so saturated regarding the hazards of airbags that I overlooked the fact that Moray had kindly answered the question, so my thanks to Moray and thanks to Chris Whelan for pointing this out.

if you want to know what I'm up to ...... I need to replace the "plastic thing" that cancels the indicators (currently broken - common fault). To do this you need to remove the steeringwheel. To do THIS you need to remove the airbag (which answers the question from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com)

Before any other well intended reader out there gets the urge to offer alternative advice, be aware that this sequence of steps are from the workshop manual instructions.

Lets call this thread closed.

Regards

Dan

Reply to