Oil Pressure Gauge Reading 0=Zero??

OK. I took my trooper (97) to a mechanic to have him fix some belt noise. He did so and then informed me that my oil pressure gauge is reading 0. He suggested a manual pressure test and testing the gauge. No idiot lights come on.

Anyone here ever have experience with the gauge going bad? Where do I connect a manual gauge to check the oil pressure? Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
scott

See if the wire didn't come loose or is broken. Find the sensor, disconnect the wire (if still connected) make a short circuit by holding the end against the engine. If the gauge works now, just replace the sensor and you're done. Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

OK. I understand I may either have a bad gauge or a bad sending unit(sensor). My only problem is ignorance. I have no idea where to find the sensor for this gauge? Any idea where I would find it? If you have a similar model, could you send me a picture.

Thanks

scott

Erik-Jan Geniets wrote:

Reply to
scott

Or a broken or loose wire. The gauge will probably be fine. Focus on the wire first then the sensor. Do not have your model but look for sensors around the thermostat housing. Most of the time you will find it at the front end and top of the engine close to a waterhose. Ask someone in your area to point it out for you if still in doubt. So for a start, open the hood and check for loose/broken wires. If it all seems fine. Disconnect the sensor wire and short circuit it to the engine. (ignition on) If at that point the gauge starts working you're sensor has gone. Screw it out and replace it with a new after market one. Erik-Jan.

My only problem is ignorance. I have no idea where to

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

Sorry, Wrong Wrong Wrong, I was talking temperature sensor here !!! not oil pressure. It is the same story but on a different location on your engine. Even more likely the wire has broken. Don't know with this specific engine but start looking at the side's of the engine. Bottom half. Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Erik-Jan Geniets wrote:

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

Well if it ever quits raining I will take a look under the vehicle. I presume I need to crawl under to see that part of the engine. Given that I take it off road about 95% of the time, I imagine it isn't crazy to think that I might have broken the wire when running over some brush or something.

Reply to
scott

You'll probably find it easier from above. Good luck, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

Actually the sending unit is easier to get at from the bottom once you remove the skid plate that partially shrouds the oil filter. The sending unit was right on the manifold holding the oil filter. I disconnect the sending unit wire and grounded it out causing my gauge to peg out at 85PSI. So the gauge looks good. I am going to have the sending unit removed and do a manual pressure test to make sure.

The other issue is a lot of lifter noise. ... Not sure what to do on that one.

Reply to
scott

I shouldn't bother if I were you. Just replace the sensor (quite cheap) and you will be fine.

Adjust the valve clearance ?

Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

The quote on the part from one store was $140 US. That seemed really high to me. So I am calling around. It sure seems like a igh price for that little piece.

Reply to
scott

Somewhere around 10 USD seems reasonable. Maybe they were thinking about some other part? Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

No they were right. There are two oil sensors. One for the idiot light -- approx $4 - $10. The other is the larger one for the oil pressure gauge -- $140. I found a used one online for $35 and have ordered it.

Now on to more fun. Looks like I have oil seeping on the left hand side of my engine around the valve covers and onto the exhaust manifold. Valve cover gasket? That is my guess at this point.

Erik-Jan Geniets wrote:

Reply to
scott

Great. Sounds fine then. Did not know they were that expensive.

Think so, replace it with a new one after cleaning the area. Adjust the valve clearence at the same time.

Good luck, Erik-Jan.

Erik-Jan Geniets