oil pressure gauge

I have a question about my '96 bonneville's oil pressure guage. The numbers read

0-40-120 with one line on either side. My oil pressure needle sits right on the line in between the 40 and 120. Is the normal or too high?. The manual say 60 psi, but wouldn't that line be around 80 or so?
Reply to
gooch

"gooch" wrote

numbers read 0-40-120 with one line on either side. My oil pressure needle sits right on the line in between the 40 and 120. Is the normal or too high?. The manual say 60 psi, but wouldn't that line be around 80 or so?

These factory gauges are nothing more then "indicators". Don't try to figure out what the actual oil pressure is by the marks on the gauge. They were never intended to be that accurate. If you really want to know what your oil pressure is, you will need to stick a mechanical gauge in place of the factory sending unit and see what reading you get.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

"gooch" wrote

numbers read 0-40-120 with one line on either side. My oil pressure needle sits right on the line in between the 40 and 120. Is the normal or too high?. The manual say 60 psi, but wouldn't that line be around 80 or so?

Reply to
Geoff Welsh