Seals on injector

There isn't a cabin heat button.

The ceramic heater is energised if the temperature slider is moved to all the way to maximum, buit only when the engine is cold. The effect of the ceramic heater is hardly noticeable - but you can verfiy that it is working by sliding the probe of a meat thermometer down the screen vent & playing with the control.

Cheers Andrew Kay

Reply to
Andrew Kay

All 4JX1 Euro II models (that's up to 2002 model year - if 10th digit of VIN number is W, X, Y or number 1) can potentially suffer from problems with injector o-ring seals. There is also a smaller chance that Euro III engines (fitted to 2002 models and newer - 10th digit of VIN number is 2) can also suffer with this problem.

There is a repair that is available which is to replace the injector sleeves with a new part which has o-rings of a different material fitted.

There are no recall details as this is not a safety related issue and Isuzu has no obligation to notify customers of this problem.

Reply to
Dave

It'd be nice to know whether this is a similar risk to say being struck by lightening - or whether its something I need to get fixed because the seals will surely fail sooner or later.

Do you have any information about the proportion of 4JX1 engines suffering actual failure of injector o-ring seals?

Cheers Andrew Kay

Reply to
Andrew Kay

Thank you Dave for that very clear explanation.....especially as the

10th digit of my VIN is not any of those you mention:-) Dennis Reynolds -- If you are expectng me to reply and do not get one within three days blame my spam trap and email me again.
Reply to
Dennis Reynolds

Without going out in the snow to look, ISTR it is on the left and slightly further back. Dennis Reynolds -- If you are expectng me to reply and do not get one within three days blame my spam trap and email me again.

Reply to
Dennis Reynolds

When i phoned about the injectors..( i`m the guy with the problem initially)

the dealer also mentioned changing the` turbo `and the `strainer `...

apparently there was a problem getting a turbo and he said he would

get back to me ( have`nt heard from him yet... will phone him soon )

does anyone have any info on that lot ? and whats a strainer ?

no funny jokes about constipation please..or tea pots !

appreciated the clear explanati>

Reply to
peter J

Andrew, I am sure the odds are more in favour than against of you experiencing diesel fuel in the engine oil.

Reply to
Dave

Peter, all the problems you mention are for the 3.0 4JX1 engine (turbo, oil strainer and injectors)- the 3.1 doesn't suffer from these problems.

FYI

Injector oil seals, the repair for this problem has been amended, originally the dealer installed an additional seal on the existing injector sleeves. The new repair is to replace the injector sleeves completely, these have modified oil seals fitted to them, so there is no need for the additional seal to be fitted anymore.

The oil strainer is the pick up for the oil pump. 4JX1 engines have 2 oil pumps, one is a high pressure pump for the fuel system, the other is the normal oil pump for lubrication. The strainer is fitted with a rubber seal where is 'plugs into' the oil pump, usually the seal goes hard and allows the pump to draw in air. Also the pick up pipes can crack (Isuzu did bring out superceeded parts for this problem).

The turbo has been modified twice to date: (1) the internal oil gallery was increased in size to allow better lubrication. (2) Due to some turbochargers emitting excess noise and due to some still failing due to lubrication problems, a third assembly was introduced which had its maximum spin speed reduced and a larger turbine wheel fitted

VIN breakdown information:

Example: JAC UBS73 D Y 7100123

JAC: Isuzu Motors Japan (Assembly in Japan) UBS: Trooper

73: 3.0L 4JX1 engine (26: 3.5L V6 petrol) D: Short wheelbase (G: Long wheelbase) Y: 2000 Model year (W: 1998, X:1999, Y:2000, 1: 2001, 2: 2002) 7100123: Sequential VIN serial number

Hope this information is of some help to someone.

Reply to
Dave

I was afraid you might say that. It looks like I'm going to have to pay for it to be done when the extended warranty runs out. Ah well, it's only money .............

Cheers Andrew Kay

Reply to
Andrew Kay

Thank`s once again Dave for the info. i will contact the dealer and see if he`s going to do the other two jobs.. regards peter j

Reply to
peter J

I used to know my Trooper's VIN, thats how I found out it was built in Japan. I think the number was in the warranty booklet, which seems to be missing. Anyone know where its located on the vehicle?

Reply to
madiba

It's also on the vehicle registration document.

Cheers Andrew Kay

Reply to
Andrew Kay

"Andrew Kay" scribbled some garbage about a problem in news:c1ppr5$bri$ snipped-for-privacy@news6.svr.pol.co.uk: and Dman answered with his usually drivel in the following manner!

Look in the windshield from outside the vehicle in front of the steering wheel on the very very front of the dash, its on a plate there. Also you could look inside the door jamb of the drivers door it usually on a sticker or plate there also...

HTH

Reply to
DMan

Will do, thanks for the info guys.

Reply to
madiba

Nope, just the motor and chassis numbers.

It seems they stopped doing that by 1999.. I also checked the service bills from the dealer -nothing. Guess I'll contact the dealer, they must have it somewhere.. Thanks for for your efforts anyway guys.

HA! Found it tucked away and locked on a text file on my computer. The 10th digit is an X, so I should expect trouble...

Reply to
madiba

Peter,

As far as I can remember, the turbo was a service campaign so the dealers should do this, however, the oil strainer wasn't replaced under any campaign. The oil strainer was only replaced in the event of low oil pressure.

Reply to
Dave

try lookign in the engine bay... on the bulkhead at the back.. mine has the option plate on the left of the bay, engine info and chassis info on a plate to the center of the bay...

Reply to
rnf2