Seals on injector

I have been contacted by the Isuzu dealer from whom I bought my 1997 Trooper 3.1D (UK spec) about 8 months ago.

They are advising me that "if the seals on the vehicle injector should fail, raw fuel may bypass the injectors and enter the combustion chambers directly, which would have catastrophic consequences for your engine."

In order to save me the £4k cost of rectifying this damage they are offering to "if necessary" replace the seals at a cost of £470.

I am assuming this is a blatant attempt to drum up business but I thought I'd check here if the injector seals are a known weakness. Recorded mileage is 88k and I don't think it has been clocked. Dennis Reynolds -- If you are expectng me to reply and do not get one within three days blame my spam trap and email me again.

Reply to
Dennis Reynolds

within three days blame my spam trap and email me again.

Reply to
Ploggo

hello. i am highly intrested in your Seals on injector

kindly tell me the last price and send me the pixs,my mode of payment will be a cashier check drawn from a uk bank cos i have an associate in the uk who sold some dameged cars on my behalf and has not paid all the money involved but i can instruct him to issue a cashier check so as to pay you.note i will only conclude this transaction when i conclude negotiation with my shipper on the price which he is going to ship the Seals on injector from your location to where the customer that want the car to be shipped to. if you are okay with my mode of payment and trancastion do get back to me with the following info............................ full name home address phone number zip code all this will be forward to my associate for payment. hope to hear from you soon. spencer snipped-for-privacy@graffiti.net

Reply to
foster007

I'm sure its a 3.1 but it is possible the Isuzu dealer is sending letters out to anyone he thinks will be mug enough to check a vehicle straight in to have £470 spent on it.

I understand an early symptom is difficult starting. I'll wait until I have that problem, if ever.

Dennis Reynolds -- If you are expectng me to reply and do not get one within three days blame my spam trap and email me again.

Reply to
Dennis Reynolds

This issue is definatley only for 3.0 Diesel Trooper model fitted with the 4JX1 common rail diesel engine.

The dealer is quite right, it is possible for diesel fuel to enter the sump, through the injectors and dilute the oil. This not only compromises the lubrication sysyetm, if it is not noticed, the oil level will increase until it reaches a point where the engine will run on its own oi - then BANG.

three days blame my spam trap and email me again.

Reply to
Dave

The 4JX1 is not common rail... It's the newer Oil-over-Fuel design, newer and better performance than Common rail, but pretty unknown yet.

rhys

Reply to
rnf2

FYI, 4JX1 is considered to be common rail. you are correct that it is not the same as modern systems, however it is a common rail system. "Newer and better performance" not sure where you read that, it is older and suffers with more than its fair share of problems.

The worst diesel engine Isuzu has ever brought out by far...

Reply to
Dave

No troubles going on for 5 years this summer... The '99 Trooper is the best damn car I ever bought!

Reply to
madiba

I think this is the exception to the rule !!

Reply to
Dave

The 4JX1's from 2000 onward in NZ have all been very good as far as I've heard, the earlier engines had injector troubles, but the later engines have them fixed here.

Reply to
rnf2

You mean my Trooper is the exception because it works, or the others are the exception because they don't?

Reply to
madiba

There was an earlier thread about this problem. It was claimed that the

4JX1 engine was susceptible to some problem with the injectors which could result in catastrophic engine failure. I also heard that there was a recall to apply a fix, so I guess it must only have applied to engines prior to some date - though I don't know what that date was (others may) or how many engines were affected.

Whilst I don't doubt for a moment the sincerity of those who posted in that earlier thread, I was unable to find anything on the web confirming the existence of the problem. Given the claimed catastrophic effect, I would have expected to do so if a substantial number of engines had been involved.

Several people, including myself, posted to the thread their own experiences of the total reliability of their 4JX1 engines. Mine 2000 Trooper has done nearly 70K miles without any engine problem at all.

If there are others reading this who know more about this problem with the

4JX1 engine (as distinct from having heard rumours - or hearsay), perhaps they would care to shed some light on the issue.

Cheers Andrew Kay

Reply to
Andrew Kay

I`m the person who had the injector problem...some months ago who posted to this site.. it`s 1998 3ltr DOHC direct injection ...now got 27K on the clock it was getting progressivly more difficult to start..and i had to continually use the palm pump to get fuel up to the rail. the fuel had diluted the engine oil level by approx 2pints before i noticed it... PS..it did`nt explode !!!

I purchased the vehicle from a dealer and never heard from him again. so had no confidence in him.. I `phoned another dealer who asked for the vin no checked it on his comp` and imformed me although it was out of the standing warrantee isuzu would cover the costs of the work on the injectors...

He supplied me with a courtesy car whilst he did the work.. i understand he also put a non-return valve in riseing fuel line it cost me nowt! so i guess he claimed the costs back..

One final point definately worth a mention ..the first thing i checked when i had the starting problem was the HEATER plugs two were compleatly duff and one was on its was out....and they were very badly corroded and quite difficult to remove.. the job it`s self is quite easy if their not corroded...

Many thanks again to the guys who were very helpful with advise etc at the time ...Dave..Ploggo...Andrew...and anyone i`ve left out.. regards peter j.

Reply to
peter J

Mine was reg 1 Jan 2000 so, hopefully, it will be one of the Troopers manufactured after the fault was corrrected in production. I think I'll check at the next service, just to be sure.

2pints before i noticed

Mine has 68K miles on the clock, starts first time every morning (after the usual 3 or 4 secs of cranking), sounds & performs just like (or better than) new and uses no oil between services, so I guess its probably OK anyway.

Cheers Andrew Kay

Reply to
Andrew Kay

It would be good to know when Isuzu corrected this problem. I tried checking the recall data but its all based in the US so no diesels.

Er, Troopers normally use a fair amount of oil (especially the thinner synthetic oils that Isuzu recommends) I would take that as a warning sign.. My battery seems to be getting old, in winter it starts on the second try, if I'm careful. The battery was always a bit weak, opening the sun roof was a problem even in the showroom when the car was new.. Some Trooper models have two batteries I hear.

Reply to
madiba

Trooper *petrol* engines seem to be noted for using oil, at least to judge by posts on this NG.

My diesel Trooper has used fully synthetic oil from new & has been serviced strictly according to the book. In the last 50,000 miles, I've very rarely had to top up the engine oil - only a couple of litres (or less) in grand total. I shall take it as a warning if it starts to use a significant amount of engine oil or if the oil level rises - but I'm perfectly happy for it to continue not to need top-ups for the next few hundred thousand miles. :-)

Yes, mine is a LWB Citation and has two batteries, which are both still OK. Don't all 3.0 litre UK diesels have two?

Cheers Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Kay

A dealer recently told me that it was a quick way to know an import from a UK Trooper as non-UK models don't have two.

I asked what the second battery was for and was told it is solely to provide power for the ceramic heater which gives cabin heat very quickly after a cold start. Dennis Reynolds -- If you are expectng me to reply and do not get one within three days blame my spam trap and email me again.

Reply to
Dennis Reynolds

Very interesting, mine is the continental version from Opel, so thats why it only has one. Must be because our alpine winters are so much milder than in the UK.. :-/ I wonder if that means my heater button (with the solenoid thingy as symbol) is disconnected? Where is the second battery located, if I may ask? Mine is on the right in the front, right behind the windshield washer tank.

Reply to
madiba

Does the heater button have an outline pic of an engine on it and a helix twining inside the engine? if it has that it'd be connected to a restriction valve on the exhaust, this will be connected on all models, (that I know of) but isn't a ceramic heater... it just holds the hot gasses back and forces the engine to work harder and therefore heat up faster. I'm not sure what the cabin heat button looks like... probably built into the air con controls.. :)

Japanese cars imported from Japan can also be fitted with two batteries... they were fitted to all "Cold Area" models as an option... and there are some cold areas in Japan... Mt Fuji comes to mind :), A friend of mine has a '98 Wizard ex-Japan with 2 batteries.

rhys

Reply to
rnf2

'99 onwards I belive from groans and moans from Pre 99ers and none from post

99ers about their engine probs... :)

Only petrols... the diesels have long piston skirts since they operate at higher compressions, theres less oil blow by down the piston skirts. The petorls have short piston skirts to reduce friction (or so I hear) leading to high blow by rates leaking oil out and away :)

Cold models :)

Rhys

Reply to
rnf2