Shimmer in first gear??? Trooper

has anyone experienced a vibration while taking off in first gear after the clutch is released and giving gas? It's almost as if the clutch is slipping, but the clutch is only 6 months old. I thought it might be the midshaft bearing and seal, but replaced them and everything is fine there. Could it be the driveshaft balance? but why would it only do it in first? I have changed both front and back diff. fluid and transmission fluid. I'm clueless.....I am driving an 87 Isuzu Trooper II if that helps anyone.......Please if you have any advice, let me know what you might think. Thanks in advance for your input.... Jeff K.

Reply to
J Kriezel

I have a similar problem - a shimmy/shutter on acceleration.... mine is an automatic though.... I've taken it to several shops including the isuzu dealer and no one can find the problem.... It's been suggested by friends that it's the 'hanger bearing' but the isuzu mechanic ruled that out.. It's been doing it for several years and I've grown accustomed to it....can't be that serious if it's been doing it for so long w/no other bad effects.???If you find an answer, I'd be curious as well. I did post a question about it on here (trooper newsgroup) and got some suggestions if you'd like to look it up in the archives.

Reply to
sherman barnes

Well Sherman, I did fix most of it the other day. I replaced the hanger bearing also called the midshaft bearing, but that didn't really do anything. I did disconnect the driveshaft from the midshaft point and rotated the rear shaft 180 degrees to line up the 4 bolt pattern. And so far the shimmy is gone by about half of what it was. These shafts are precisely balanced and at some time before I owned the vehicle the transmission was replaced. The mechanic probably didn't care to put it back properly, is all I can think......Try it, it only takes a few minutes to do, just be sure to mark with a paint marker the exact prior location. My shimmer was so bad that after a year the pinion gear broke two teeth and that was on the highway.........Let me know if you decide to do so and if it helped. . thanks for responding to my post......good luck.

Reply to
J Kriezel