2001 Ford Expedition Noise When Driving

Starts and Idles fine. When driving, there is slight vibration and sound that increases with speed.

The best way I can describe the sound is that it sounds like I am riding on heavy-heavy snow tires or monster truck tires.

I can't tell where the vibration is coming from but I can feel it, I think it is coming from the front end. I am not sure if it something to do with the axel, belts, transmission or anything else that turns or increases with speed.

At certain speeds above around 35-50 miles per hour the sound and vibration go away for a little while.

Any ideas on what I should check or read to diagnose this problem.

Reply to
FrankJZamarripa

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...........

Check tires ???????

Reply to
Ollie

If when it's making the noise and you put the truck in neutral and let it coast at an idle does it still make the noise? That will eliminate the engine components, belts etc.

Reply to
I. Care

Here is a few things that you can try to isolate it. Are you feeling in you hands or under your ass? When it is vibrating put in neutral and see what happens does it stop? When it vibrates put a little pressure on the brake pedal, does it lessen?

Roy

If it was my vehicle, I'd think this was the tires. Have you tried having the tires rotated and balanced? That would be my first step in resolving this concern. What brand of tires do you have? Have they been regularly rotated and balanced? Are they inflated to the proper pressure per the vehicle's placard? How many miles on the tires?

I suggest you join the Ford Expedition Owner's Group Mailing List. Lots of Expedition owners there may be able to help. See:

C. E. White

Check the U joints as well.

Reply to
Bill Cain

Yeah...it's some sort of drive train resonance. We had that problem too. There is a TSB to add a small counterweight to the rear axle as a vibration damper. Lousy engineering is the source of the problem.

-CT

Reply to
CDT