Timing belt

I have a 2001 ZX3 with the Ztec engine approaching 75K miles. I have not changed or inspected the timing belt yet. Most of the miles are at 65mpr plus. Anyone know of timing belt failures in the Focus Engine?

Reply to
Lawrence Adler

The 2L Zetec in the USA Focus is a non-interference engine so there won't be serious damage if it does break. The recommendation for changing the timing belt is at the first valve clearance check at

90k miles. The exact text from the Ford manual on CD:

----------------

- The timing belt must be installed new after 150,000 km (90,000 miles) or after 10 years.

- The timing belt must always be installed new after repair work in which it was removed.

----------------

You do need special tools to immobilize the crank and the cams in order to set the timing belt tension:

---------------- An automatic timing belt tensioner ensures that the belt has the correct tension. When a new belt is fitted, the tensioner is moved into the base setting (arrowhead (3) and marker (2) are in line). This base setting is taken up by one of the cams (4). Another (spring-loaded) cam ensures that the belt is kept at the correct tension when the engine is running. The belt tensioner moves up to 30 degrees from its center position in each direction.

Note: Do not re-tighten the belt since there is a risk of exceeding the permitted working range in one of the directions. The belt tensioner base setting only applies in the case of new timing belts. Re-tightening of the belt can cause it to rip or flutter.

It is no longer possible to check the base setting once the adjustment tools and pin have been removed (the spring forces of the valve train are exerted on the belt and change the position of the belt tensioner).

----------------

Reply to
Mark Olson

Ford recommends timing belt change at 120,000 miles, its easy to pop the top timing cover and have a peep at the belts condition.

The Standard (no mods) Zetec 2.0 litre engine is a "non interference" any way, so if the belt breaks it should not cause any engine damage.

I have a 2001 ZX3 with the Ztec engine approaching 75K miles. I have not changed or inspected the timing belt yet. Most of the miles are at 65mpr plus. Anyone know of timing belt failures in the Focus Engine?

Reply to
Henri

What about the North American 2.0l SPI engine - is it a "non interference" design?

Rob

"Henri" wrote ...

Reply to
Basic Wedge

Yes.

The US market Zetec E engines use a lower compression than the european ones. In our case if the belt fails we get piston / valve soup.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.