transmission care & maintenance

what would you recommend for taking care of a 90's (any year from 1990-1999) rodeo and trooper AT transmission?

that means, apart from changing the transmission fluid and filter.

is there something a reputable transmission shop can do to extend or enhance the life/performance of the transmission? what would be that something?

while I have no specific issue with any of the transmissions, I have noticed an occasional longer time in transmission shifting to a higher gear, with engine revs going up a bit while the transmission shifts. sometimes it does this and other times it does not.

again, both AT fluids and the AT filter (yes, dropped pan and replaced it internally) have been regularly changed since new)

how about a recommendation for a complete transmission rebuild? at what point and what types of conditions?

Reply to
Peter F.

Cheap insurance is to have the transmission back flushed by a mechanic with the proper unit. I have that done every other time I have the transmission fluid replaced. As I recall, you replace the filter, then back (or reverse) flush the trans and fill to the proper level. Normal drain and refill only replaces about half the fluid or less.

Also, if it is an electronic controlled transmission you might want to run a ground wire from clean shiny metal on the transmission to clean shiny metal on the engine or chassis. An aluminum transmission bolted to an iron block with steel bolts can lead to electrolysis and even though it is a good mechanical connection the electrical ground for the computer can become degrade. This is something the manufacturers are only now starting to realize may be an issue and few mechanics understand. A friend had gone back to a transmission shop several times until I told him to try it - cost him about $0.50 and the shop was charging him at least $100 for each visit.

I wouldn't rebuild unless you have serious problems.

Reply to
Ed H.