1986 Jag V12, heater not working...

Good evening,

The heater valve does work, and I get air blowing out of the vents in the cabin, but not hot air... the air con. does work, but the heater won't work. What else can I try to determine where the problem is?

Thanks in advance....

Reply to
jabs

If all the switches and flaps are working on the air con unit then probably the heater matrix is blocked. What you need to do is disconnect the hoses to the matrix (on the engine bulkhead) and flush out the matrix. I have an 86 XJS and it's a common problem.

Mark Buying or selling a Jaguar. Go to

carman

Thankyou for the response! I have one of thosse Haynes book for the Jag, I am not much of a mech at all... I just picked it up for my GMC Truck and now I am hoping to do some work on my father's Jag cause he keeps getting ripped-off cause auto-shops claim "oh this is the problem..." or "this is what needs to be fixed..." and $$$ later the problem still isn't fixed. I was able to locate the matrix and the hoses, but I am unsure of how to flush it out... as in, what do I use/procedure to do so?

Oh My! heh. I was looking for a XJS here in Canada... had to find now - would you recommend the 3.6 engine? My father's is the 5.3 and it purrr's... mind I say it gives a heck of a run to many sport cars on the highway LOL

Jabs (just realized the email you have is nospam.. heh)

Reply to
jabs

Hi,

To flush it out connect a garden hose to the matrix and leave the water running through for a minutes. It's a good idea to connect another piece of hose to the other pipe on the matrix top divert the water away from the engine.

If possible clamp the hoses that run from the engine to the matrix. That way you'll save most of the anti-freeze/coolant inhibitor. The system will need topping up with anti-freeze when you've finished.

HTH Mark

(my ISP seem to sell email addresses as I was deluged with spam. Now any mail for myname@isp is deleted automatically)

Reply to
carman

Ah! okay, Thankyou so much for you time! I will give this a try soon! I had once drained the rad, but I guess that isnt the same to flushing out the matrix. Hopefully this will get the heater going for the car! :-)

Jabs

Reply to
jabs

Where do you live in Canada? I have a great mechanic here in Québec, if you're near by, it might be worth your while.

--

Reply to
Madison MacLard

heh. I live in Vancouver. You know, I was once told by MCL a long time ago (over heard the guy tell my father) that the mechanic who could do the work on the Jag would be in Toronto lol.

I tried flushing it out - nothing, no heat. I think I will go look around to see if I can get a professional to do the job. Maybe I did something wrong.

(how does that Suzuki ride? nice? I hurt my back on a Yamaha a while back heh)

Reply to
jabs

Yeah, when my father was servicing his Jag, he made many trips to Toronto to get proper service. In the end he put the car away for 10 years in our garage and then restored it. I was lucky to stumble upon a mechanic who is cheap and thorough at the same time.

I was actually in Vancouver over the Christmas holidays, and was amazed to see so many old classics on the roads. If you were to do that in late December here in Montreal, you would be kissing your prized possession goodbye.

My Suzuki is a whole lot of fun, though not as comfortable as the Jag, it handles wonderfully. (Different experience altogether.)

-- Madison

Reply to
Madison MacLard

JCCV President is Malcolm Taylor at snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca