1989 XJ6-VDP

Has anyone made the conversion from the original rear shock/spring/hydraulic (using mineral spirits) load leveler system to the system now sold/recommended by OEM that does away with the hydraulic load leveling system ???? Can purchase and have it installed by dealer for about $1000 US.

Reply to
feez

Feez, There are very few XJ40s wit the original SLS systems still out there. Many were taken care of under Jaguar warranty -- many more after that. The complete kit with new Bilstein shocks and new springs as well as the conversion parts costs about $500USD on average. DO NOT allow the repair people to replace the components without putting in the new springs. If you do, the rear of the car will sag visibly and never ride properly in the future. My personal recommendation is that you go with Bilstein or Boge shocks and stay away from the KYB shocks. Many of us have attempted to use KYB and had the threaded shaft on top of the shock snap off under load.

Cheers Webserve

shock/spring/hydraulic

Reply to
webserve

Not all did this under warranty -

I just had the conversion done on my 1990 I've owned since 95.

Went with the Brillstein kit incl. springs at just under the $500 figure - and what a huge improvement. Apart from the fact that the OEM Bogue/hydraulics were shot - it's so much better than even when that was working fine. I also happened to have the front sway bar replaced with a larger version ($200) - the handling is very crisp but the ride is still very smooth. It was about $12-1400 overall with a few other things done.

Have fun and do it ASAP

Reply to
HarleyG