OEM?

Hi , I'm relatively new to this group. What exactly is OEM? Thank You

Reply to
Patty Burwell

Original Equipment Manufacturer

Really, in the context of this group, it is anything Subaru put in as standard in their cars.

Reply to
Subie25l

Or optional... a factory (installed) option is considered OEM...

Reply to
Mike

What's OT: I see it sometimes in this and other news groups.

Thanks.

Reply to
Y2KRedMustang

Off Topic

Reply to
Nige

Or that the manufacturer sells and/or specifies (by brand name and part number) as a suitable replacement part. For example Subarus assembled in Japan typically come with Japanese made oil filters. The typical Subaru branded replacement oil filter (for the non-turbo models) sold by US dealers is made in the US, but is considered functionally equivalent to the part from the factory.

An "OEM" part specified by brand and part # would be a spark plug. What you'll find at the dealer parts dept is exactly the same NGK plug that is sold at Pep Boys or other auto parts stores. The owner's manual specifically which brand/part # is recommended.

Reply to
y_p_w

Reply to
Y2KRedMustang

As in, you can use a Fram oil filter, or an OEM filter which says Subaru on the side.

Somehow, some weird way, a trailer hitch tongue for a Forester ended up in our office. I'm amazed that Subaru makes one of these, and has their name stamped on it, and amazed that anyone would pay the OEM price for one of these stupid things. Anybody want it? Postage is probably more than its value; the damn thing weighs about eight pounds.

-John O

Reply to
John O

Reply to