Hydraulics

I have a '91' XJ6 which just had a hydraulic line break. It's a hose that runs underneath the engine between the front tires. My question is, since my Haynes book has no information about hydraulics other than how to check the level, can I drive the car or do I need to tow it or try to replace the hose myself? I assume there's a trick or two related to working with hydraulic hoses but I have no such knowledge if there is. Thanks for the help..

Reply to
Kris Kolhoss

Kris, Obviously you must first determine which hydraulic fluid line has the problem. The best and most simple way to determine that is to take the caps off the fluids until you find the one that is low/gone. If it is brake fluid you must tow the car until the line is replaced and the air is bled from the lines. If it is power steering, you can get by without the fluid for a very short time before you are going to replace the steering rack. If it is water/coolant stop and do not drive. If it is power assist (green fluid) than you can drive the car for a bit before you take care of the problem.

If it is between the wheels, chances are it is the high pressure hose to the power steering. It is a common malady for these to go since they are stressed by the heat of the engine.

IF you are uncertain as to what you are dealing, I suggest you have some one with more experience look at the car. Usually there is a puddle under the car and you can tell what it is by color and odor.

Cheers Webserve

Reply to
webserve

Thanks for the help. It's actually for the hydraulic suspension system which I assume is the same as the power assist you mentioned. I take it that driving for a brief period of time would not further harm the system. I'm only talking about maybe 7 or 8 miles to drop it off at the mechanic or picking up the hose myself.

Reply to
Kris Kolhoss

Kris, If you are talking hydraulic suspension then you are talking about the green mineral oil than makes the rear suspension go up and down?? If that is the case than the line doesn't run between the front wheels. There is NO hydraulics in the front suspension. The rear has/had hydraulics that made the shocks rise when there was a load. Most people who own these cars got rid of the rear hydraulics years ago based on the fact that Jaguar recommended the removal and because the system rarely worked. I still think you are talking about the power steering High pressure hose which DOES go between the front wheels to the steering rack.

Cheers Webserve

Reply to
webserve

You're right, after some more exploration under the hood, it is indeed a power steering hose. I thought the hydraulic markings on the reservoir referred to the suspension system. I've had this car for a few months and I now realize how little I know about it! Anyway, I will attempt to get a hose and fix it myself. You're right about the suspension problems also. I noticed a discernable leveling of the car when started a few months ago but now the leveling feeling has disappeared. Sounds like not much cause to explore that situation any further. Thanks again.......Kris

Reply to
Kris Kolhoss