1990 Sovereign (XJ6) heater fans stopped working

Hi,

Some time ago my heater fans stopped working. They do not come on at all on manual or auto.

I can hear some faint electrical noise like they are trying to start several times, then nothing.

I recently had a transmission failure light come on, and found some dampness on the driver's floor around the connector for the kickdown switch under the gas pedal. When I dried this out the tx fault went away.

I spotted a water drain tube above this switch and when I disconnected it a lot of water poured out into the drivers floor. I cleared the drain and then noticed a bit of moisture at the bottom of the plastic enclosures for the heater air ducts. The driver's side one had a bit of duct tape over a drain hole and when I pulled it off I got another half liter of water out.

The passenger's side had no taped hole that I could find, and the water on that side was leaking slowly down onto the elctricals that abound in that location. I drilled a small hole in the ducting and drained another cup or 2 of water from that side.

I had previously unplugged the gas filler area drain tube jus before it overflowed into the tank and also removed the failed electric radio antenna and drained half a liter from that when a blob of grease had plugged that drain tube.

Does Jaguar not realize some people drive their cars in the rain?

Anyway, I would like to get the fans working again and do not know where to start to troubleshoot the electricals.

Can someone tell me where there might be a relay that could possibly be checked for failure, or how/where I could actually bypass all the heater/computer controls and attach a 12 volt power source directly to the fan motors to see what parts I will have to replace?

- Tom

Reply to
Oldbie

Tom, I don't think you are going to like this.

The first thing you need to check is the duckbill. When you describe your car you need to restrain from describing things as passenger or driver. When my son drives his Jag he sits on the left side of his car. When I drive my Jag, I sit on the right side of my car. It is much easier for the rest of us if you refer to left or right.

The duckbill on these cars has a tendency to fill with sludge. It is located on the left side of the car under the wiper motor. It is a small rubber tube that is round on the upper part and tapers to a flat opening -- thus the duckbill name. You need to find it, remove it and clean it. When it gets clogged, it has a tendency to back up water into the heater blower system.

Once you have done that, you need to find and clear the two drainage tubes on either side of the transmission tunnel. These run directly from the duct system along the transmission tunnel and outside the car. These get plugged as well over time.

Once these are cleared, you have one more source of water -- the blowers themselves. Chances are, these are or were full of water. Located inside the blowers are two relays. From the sounds of things, yours have been under water. The thing you need to do is pull the passenger's side blower. In this case, it could be left or right depending. Once you pull the blower box and open it up you need to clean and lubricate the motor. You can, at this point, easily check to see if the blower motor is still good by hooking the leads to a battery and seeing if the motor operates. If it does, you need to systematically work you way backward to determine where the problems lies. Check the book for assistance.

You very wellmay need to replace the resistors. Just a note!! The car you are driving is now 15 years old!! MUCH that you are going to run into for problems are going to be determined by the maintenance that has been done over the past 15 years. Keeping drain tubes clean is an annual (or more often) chore. I do it every six months on most tubes -- the exception being continually for the top mount gas drain and the top mount sun roof drains. I little compressed air and it all goes away quickly. You can even use the compressed air used for cleaning computers.

Hope this helps

Webserve

Reply to
webserve

[...]