Air pressure with new rims and tires

What is the correct way, to find the optimal air pressure of tires, once you change the size of the Rims? I took off the standard 16 inch rims and tires on my 02 S-type and went with 245 40zr 18 tires. According to the place that put these tires on, the overall dimension did not change, but I assume I can no longer reference the owners manual for air pressure, and the psi listed on the tire is for maximum, not optimal pressure. Thanks for your help

Billy

Reply to
Billy

The optimum way is with a tyre temperature gauge - when running at or near your top speed the temperature should be equal across the tread width. Overinflation makes the centre of the tread hotter, underinflation makes the edges hotter. Pressures should be increased slightly (5%) for extended high speed running or greater load carrying.

Reply to
Phil

Humm, I think that method may be more in depth than I'm willing to go, and it sounds like you are talking about optimum as in tyre life and tread wear. I was thinking optimum as in braking, steering, and ride comfort, I don't know if there is a difference between the two. Thanks for your response, Billy

Reply to
Billy

Suggest U go to tyre manufacturers web site?

Reply to
Chris Booth