pressure in tires?

Hi from Norway..... I have an Ford Excursion Limited 2002. I have a question about pressure in the tires. I have all terain tires 265,175,16. anyone know how much pressure shall I put in them? regards... Tor Elling.

Reply to
Tor Elling Rustad

Fred

Hi again.... I know there is a sticker there, but I don't think this is the orginally tires, and I wan't to know what is the normally pressure to use in these tires.. I therefore would like to know what kind of pressure you use in the tires in US. In pounds please. It is an All terrain 4 wheeler's tire

265,175,16. Please say what you normally would use in these type of tires please. Tor Elling.

"Fred" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Tor Elling Rustad

Are you familiar with the chalk-mark method for tire pressure?

Use the mfg. suggested tire pressure as a starting point, go to a parking lot or area where you can drive a short distance in a straight line. I have found that mfg. recommended pressures are generally too low and makes the tires soft, and wear out quicker. Also, they only apply to the brand and size tires on the vehicle from the factory.

It is best to perform this procedure when the tires are warm, at operating temperature. Heat makes the tire pressure go up. So, cold tire pressure will be slightly less than warm, but makes a difference in wear.

Make a mark across the tread from shoulder to shoulder, then drive forward enough to rub the chalk off. If the chalk wears off more in the middle of the tire, reduce air pressure. If the chalk wears more off the shoulders, add air pressure. If the chalk wears more off one shoulder than the other, get an alignment first, then try the procedure again. This is a little tedious, but it will show you at what pressure the tire has the most efficient and consistent contact with the road. I normally do this in the front with new tires, then take off 2 to 3 lbs for the rear. I get very, very good mileage with my tires. With most vehicles, the pressure will vary, due to equipment, and accessories, which are all factors in tire pressure. When adding weight to the rear of your vehicle, always add air pressure to the tires supporting the weight, but do not exceed the pressure limit for the tire, you can find that pressure on the sidewall near the bead. Also, it is important to keep the tires balanced and rotated. I do this or have it done with every other oil change, or sooner if they start to make more noise than usual on the highway.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Go to

and search for "tire inflation chart" and you'llget the straight answer from tire makers, not some ?? answer you get here. Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Manufacturers list suggested inflations, which give you starting points only. Manufacturers have no idea what vehicle their tires are going on, or how much the vehicle weighs, which is a crucial factor in proper tire inflation.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Nope but it does sound a like a cool idea, I'll have to at least "test" my tires sometime. :)

I basically do the same thing but sloppier. :/

I know my dad got the popular science magazine from before I could read and began reading it as soon as I could. I very clearly remember an article about tire pressures and it was all about the tire's "foot print". The chalk method looks to be a testing method to assure you've got it right.

No matter the tire, no matter the load the tire should have a certain "foot print" as veiwed from under the tire while setting on a sheet of glass with water being sprayed on it. See it? ;)

If the tire's max pressure label is too low to get it right, the tire is over loaded!

My "hammer mechanic method" and what I learned in the PS magazine is to simply look at the tire from the side (get back and get down) and make a judgment call. The magazine article covered both bias ply and the, then new radials. :)

One time my brother-in-law got mader than hell at me for letting air out of his brand new tires on the rear of his Chevy 4x4. He caught me in the act. :/ I was fixing to go in and tell him "hey, lets go down and get some air in your back tires someone let some air out of them ;)"

Well we did and we didn't, by the time we got to a gas station that had air, he dicided it steered and rode better and didn't stop! :)

We had just gone and got new tires and they were filled to the max label on the tire... only the center of the tire was touching the ground (and I ain't exagerating) and the silly sucker was trying to hide it, but he couldn't hardly keep the squirrely sucker on the road and was really upset about his new expensive big tires.

He wouldn't listen to me so I had to show him. :(

Sucks huh? :/

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

265/75R16 is the size that comes factory, just use the decal on the door.
Reply to
Michael O

Is the "decal on the door" different between vehicles that have different "packages" and different sized engines in them?

Are the "decal" pressures for a maximum rated load? Are the "decal" pressures for the vehicle un-laidened?

Do you, personally, adjust your tire pressures, especially the rear tire pressure, when you switch from mostly driving un-laidened to fully loaded to "empty" again?

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

The decal on the door is specific to the vehicle it is adhered to.

They are factory recomendations for the capacity of the vehicle. Under or over inflation will cause un-even tire wear.

Yes, 1993 Ranger 1550 lbs max, 35 lbs loaded, 30 lbs empty, yes I have a compressor at home.

Any more questions?

Reply to
Michael O

I see you haven't read any TIRE MANUFACTURER'S Inflation charts. They DO list pressure according to weight loaded on the tires.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

You just covered why you don't necessarily inflate to what on the door post. Not everyone drives their truck loaded to their maximum capacity, and besides, Ford has used pressures way too low to get a better ride. Do I have to give you a good example? ;o(

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Fill your tires however you'd like. I have a little over 60,000 miles on a set of BF Goodrich All Terrains, and they still have plenty of tread, following the decal on the door.

Reply to
Michael O

"I see you haven't read any TIRE MANUFACTURER'S Inflation charts. They DO list pressure according to weight loaded on the tires."

So, take a 1999 Ford F350 Dually, 7.3 PS, attach a ton and a half trailer to it loaded with a fully loaded John Deere 240. Load all your landscaping equipment in the bed, along with enough fuel to get you through two days, about 48 gallons, plus a full tank in the truck. The temperature outside is 21deg, and will be for the duration of the ride.

Now, use your "Tire Manufacturers Inflation Chart, and tell me:

  1. How much weight is on each tire, and what to inflate each tire to, don't forget the weight of the gooseneck on the hitch.

I would invite you to do as you see fit with your vehicle, the load you carry, and whatever criteria you use for obtaining your proper inflation. I worked for, and was trained by the best tire makers in the business, Firestone, Cooper, and Goodyear, to name a few.

The advice I gave to Tor Elling Rustad was sound, and I'll stand by it.

I don't know what you do for a living, you may be a tire salesman for all I know, but I'll trust my methods and training, but I won't insult you in the process.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

!. Your tires are 265/75/16's. The max pressure is written on the sidewall.

  1. They are rated either "D" or "E"
  2. Load range D is generally 60 psi max
  3. Load range E is generally 80 psi max
  4. Depending on how heavily loaded you operate the vehicle, adjust tire pressure accordingly.
  5. I run 285/75/16 D's. With only 500# in the bed, I generally run 45 psi for a combination of good tire wear and a reasonably soft ride on my F-250 PSD.

orginally

Reply to
Tyrone

I would bet that BFG would be willing to pay you for your testimonial if you can repeat it in front of a camera with a straight face.

Reply to
Tyrone

I could scan the receipt and take pictures if you'd like. Of course you still wouldn't believe it, would you?

Reply to
Michael O

Agree. :)

45 both front and back?

Off hand I'd say that's too high for the back but then you're ready for a load, right? :)

Since putting 322lbs lead in the bumper;) I run 45 in the front and

40 in the back and they look just right.

Before the lead, I ran 48 in the front and 36 in the back and the front tires looked low and the rear tires looked too hard. :/

Alvin in AZ ('75 F150 235/85-16's)

Reply to
alvinj

Yes... Is there a limit? ;)

Does the decal on the door give a range of pressures for the rear tires? (or just one pressure?)

Alvin in AZ ps- don't let me and Tyrone get you riled up :) pps- we ain't worth it! :/

Reply to
alvinj

Yes, that would be the number on the tire.

Only for the rear.

Reply to
Michael O