Tires on 2001 Tahoe 4x4

I have a 2001 Tahoe 4x4 and all of the publications that I see online state that the standard tires/rims combo for this vehicle is 265/75/16. The sticker on my door states that I have 245/75/16 on a 16x6.5 inch rim. Now the actual factory tires that are installed on my ride are 245/75/16 on a

16x7.5 inch rim. I want to get some bigger tires without having to get a lift kit or any other mods but I am having conflicting recommendations from tire dealers. One dealer will only install a 265/75/16 while another dealer says that a 275/70/16 is the max size I can get and yet another dealer says I can get a 285/75/16. The problem being that each one thinks that they have recommended the maximum tire size for safety and/or without having mods based on my vehicle and rim size.

Any help on this would be appreciated. I would prefer the 285's but the other two dealers insist they are not safe.

Reply to
Joe Camelia

BF Goodrich says that a 7.5" rim is fine for a 285/75-r16 AT/KO buy the AT's you won't regret it.

Reply to
Bret Chase

BINGO!!! All I got to say to that!

Reply to
Shades

Cooper says it's okay as well....albiet, at the bottom of the tolerance range:-). I've had no problems on my 2000 Silverado for the last 8 months that I've had the above coopers on. Damn nice tire imho.

Don

Reply to
Don