Bulb out warning light ???

Hi, We just got an '88 XJS convertible and we love it. The strange part is that the dash caution light and what I think is the bulb out lamp illuminate as soon as the lights are turned on. It comes on when I hit the first click, which is the parking lights. The problem is that all of the bulbs seem to be working. Any ideas???

Reply to
TimD

Hi Tim

Sound like a common fault in the XJ40, where the warning comes on "bulb fault" or somesuch, but the bulbs all check out OK. After checking *all* the bulbs (including eg the number plate) consider whether you need to resolder joints on the warning modules just by the bulbs. That's for the XJ40 anyway. The XJS *may* be similar.

Reply to
nospam

Reply to
david

Tim, I just had a friend of mine bring over his '89 XJ40. We took a 1/2" wire plumber's brush and cleaned all the bulb sockets and bulb bases. Then we resoldered the rear bulb module because the directional would not flash. Directional now flashes and there is no warning on the dash. I have always wondered how the Brits kept those planes in the air!!

Reply to
webserve

Had the same on 'The Empress' - 1987 3.6 XJ40 with 31500 miles. Remove all bulbs, clean contacts, make sure springs push contacts in place securely and replace bulbs. Better still replace the bulbs. It is quite possible that the filiment on one of the bulbs id fractured but still looks ok and even works on occasion.

Failing that then look at soldering the rear bulb module but do the buld contact cleaning and replacing trick first.

Reply to
Andy Coles

I also apply a little petrolium jelly (vaseline in the uk) to all bulb contacts and bases.

-- Mark.

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

MVP

Thanks everyone. I'll let you know how it goes.

Tim

Reply to
TimD

I say Old Chap, what! Alan