Buying an XJ6

Hello,

I am planning on building a Jag based kit car (Autotune's Aristocat XK120 look-alike), and I would very much appreciate some advice with respect to the questions below with respect to sourcing the donor. I specifically need a XJ6 S1, 11, or 111 pre-1986 model, as I understand that from '86 it really became the XJ40 and was quite a different animal:

1) Would the panel recommmend the carburettor version or PI? When was the change-over made please? What are the maintenance issues with the PI? Was the PI much more powerful?

2) I'm obviously not that bothered about body condition (although I do want to drive it around for a bit to satisfy myself as to its reliability) - what should I be looking for on these models that is expensive to fix? Which year is the best of the bunch?

3) What is spare parts availability like please - I am assuming I would pay through the nose, but I'd like to feel comfortable that parts are available.

4) Apparently, some models have recessed instruments - can you please tell me which models had this feature?

5) I would like a vehicle with manual + o/d box, but naturally these are rarer - which other manual boxes would fit with no problems - 420G for example? Maybe a Mk11 box, but I suspect the ratios will be too low??

6) What is the hot oil pressure please?

7) Will these run on unleaded without conversion?

8) Finally (thanks for bearing with me if you get this far), is the Haynes book any good, or do you have any recommendations please?

Any other information that I might find useful would very much be appreciated, and if anyone in England has such a vehicle that they think I may be interested in, please let me know.

Thanks very much for listening,

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

I have found the Haynes book disappointing with regard to the XJ40. Some of it is good. Much is missing. But it's better than nothing.

Reply to
Aalaan

Thanks Aalaan - anyone else any comments on any of my post please?

Thanks,

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Paul,

Since you are going for the kit car it would be sensible to get the proper powerplant as well. I personally like the 3.8L with dual venturi's. It was the engine in the 120 and it would not look out of place.

The LUCAS built, BOSCH designed early fuel injection systems were not bad but certainly not as good as the BOSCH versions in German and French cars.

The AJ6 and AJ16 engines really have gotten a bad rap, and it is of my personal opinion that it is a high calibre engine. Everytime I open one up I marvel the high quality workmanship. I have been tempted to take this engine, turbo-charge it, and drop it in a nice kit car. The only reason why this engine never really stood out is because this engine was not designed from the ground up, it was designed around the V12's H.E. cylinderhead. Sadly in doing this, the ideal valve/port angles were not possible because the bolt holes were in the way. However, what this did was make it possible to use the AJ6 cylinderheads on the V12 with some modifications.

Older Jag gear boxes were not known to be great performers, but did the job. Modifications to XK transmissions made them much better. I would think that a nice modern 5-6 speed would show of the performance of the old 3.5L and add to the driving enjoyment. 5speeds.com can help for older gearbox kits.

Cheers

Reply to
Blake Dodson