charity

Now its the festive season our lives are blighted by beggars asking for money in the name of charity. Only tonight did someone knock on my door to ask me for money for some good cause or other - We never actually got to that stage of the conversation before I released the dogs.

Now before you all start calling me a miserable old bas***d, just hear me out.

Before you hand over any of your hard earned money to a charity, ask the question "How much of this money goes to the good cause ?".

I read the Oxfam accounts for 2004 and £6,000,000 went on management and administration - YES £6,000,000 of money collected went to pen pushers - And I have no doubt that other charities are just as bad.

If you really want to donate cash to poor people in Africa, get on a plane, fly there and give them a cheque.

There - Rant over !!!!

Reply to
Stuart Adair

Sooo. You are a charity. You raise money to provide much needed services. How do you do that? That's right you wait for the charity fairy to do it all for you. The charity fairy provides someone to open the post, to bank the money, to account for the money, someone to figure out where the money should go, to be where wherever it is going to make sure it is spent properly, someone to order the equipment food and clothes, someone to organise the transport and distribution, someone to make sure that all these people are doing there jobs, someone to recruit them, someone to write and prepare the information to let you know where there is a disaster. But then again you could just travel to the Sudan or Iraq or the Congo or Bangladesh or anywhere else with your 10 dollars or pounds or euros, spend 300 dollars and give your 10 dollars to someone. Yeah that's likely. Give or don't give but if you don't give do it because you don't give a damn, not because of some lame excuse that some of that 10 dollars or pounds has to go on the means to get it to the right person. If you are interested, and I doubt if you are, that would be about 5 - 10 cents to the dollar.

Merry Xmas

Reply to
Mooncat killer

Your missing the point a bit here.

Do you really, really think that you putting a £1 in a charity box is going to make any difference to anyone at all. 20 years ago Africa was a problem and we were all told to raise millions to solve the issues. We all donated our hard earned cash, and the result is the 20 years later its in the same trouble and we are being asked again to pay our hard earned cash.

If the world leaders were really serious about helping other countries (Something I'm not averse to) then let them cancel world debt - I pay enough in taxes without giving any more money away.

I maintain my position that the purpose of organised charity is to keep administrators and pen-pusheers in the job.

Stu

Reply to
Stuart Adair

My late brother went to Mozambique to help rebuild some textile industry many years ago. During the evening he frequented some exclusive club were he could get good and inexpensive food, not available to the local people. He did some inquiring and was told that the main source of food and money was provided by the good Canadian people.

A doctor friend of mine that was familiar with the some research donations told me once that "there is more people living out of cancer then dying of cancer"

Some organizations explore this generic need that most people have to be "good" others as the late payment for the last trip. That "one way" sign at the cemetery's entrance made me smile.

I help organizations that are run by voluntaries for a well defined cause and frequently attend the regular meetings

Reply to
Vlad