Could this be a nikasil problem?

While looking at a 1998 XK8, the car turned over just fine from cold but would not start. The salesman hooked the battery up to a jumper box, cranked the car again hooked up to the box, and it fired right up. He said they had just run the car a day before, so I don't think it had been sitting for long unstarted. I had read engines with nikasil problems failed to start from cold, so I was curious, but obviously a jumper box isn't going to restore compression but I just wanted to make sure. The car has 75000 miles, should I be scared to buy it in fear that it could develop a problem down the road?

Reply to
Nein!

I would think the battery power was just slightly under that required for starting. Most engines must attain a minimum RPM and the electrics require a minimum voltage for starting. What you saw may indicate a current problem with the battery or charging system but there is nothing to indicate future problems. A warranty should cover any existing problems, future problems are pretty unpredictable.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

If a 1998 engine nikasil has not been 'repaired' by Jaguar, then I would run a mile and forget about it. Also check if the timing chain tentioner has been replaced. These are a weak point and do a lot of damage when they fail

Well, run might be too strong. Get the dealer to have a blow-by test done at the Jaguar garage. If this is satisfactory on all cylinders, then you'll probably be OK, just don't do short journeys, change the oil every 3K and only use good gas (read no supermarket crud)....

Reply to
Barney Rubble

Kinda funny reading this group about chain tensioners and Nikasil- I had 2 '88 XJ 6's and still have an 89 XJS V12- The S still runs like new at 60,000 with only normal maintenence over the years. One of the XJ6's went 175,000 before an accident sent it to the junkyard- the other one went 250,000 before the paint and interior were too far gone for any practical repair. It was still running on the original motor when the local charity guys came and picked it up. After Ford took over, it was supposed to be better quality control, technology etc. but I never saw that happen.

Reply to
Jim Insolo

Right you are!

Tue, 04 Dec 2007 18:27:44 +0000, Steve Swift wrote:

Reply to
Red