fluids and filters

Is there really any difference in the fluids and filters that are offered through "Jag approved" and aftermarket parts? I was told that Jags have a weaker oil pump than American made cars and require a thinner paper filter though Fram offers a filter for less and Prestone offers coolant for substantially less than Jag, I should only use the more expensive goods. I am going to be doing most of my own work and would like to save money on parts as well as labor. Thanks in advance for any advice, Joe

Reply to
Gunner

As in any product the manufacurer is allways more expensive than OEM / aftermarket. Any 'known' brand manu. will supply a decent product for your use. The oil filter is in any case a sealed unit. However in many situations it is neccessary to use manu.approved products in order to keep a valid warranty. Well it is this side of the pond. I wouldnt say a jag oil pump is weaker, its just that in the past US engines have tended to be a heavier build.

Reply to
old man

I can't comment on the oil filter question but do check the coolant for color. Later models use a Jag only coolant that is orange in color and seemed (to me) oily in texture. The manual cautions the use of coolant other than Jag.

YMMV,

Reply to
davidb