HELP!!! SERIES 1 XJ6 FULE PUMP LIVE MISSING,where's the fuse?

I bought this car a short while ago as a non runner it's a 1973 2.8ltr manual. the car overal is in very good condition for its age it has been off the road for several years. my problem is that when i got the car the fuel pumps were disconnected and they had put the terminal for the lives on both pumps to ground unknown to me at the time! So after reconnecting the pumps i tried to fire it up and the pumps started to smoke! disconnected them straight away then realised what had been done. now i have no 12volts going to the pumps and all the fuses behind the control panel are fine and i've looked everywhere i'm pulling my hair out! someone please point me in the right direction as i cannot find any reference to the fuse for it in the haynes manual. Sorry for the longwinded post but i thought i'd explain as comprehensive as possible. many thanks in advance Alan.

Reply to
ALAN

There is usually a fuel pump relay somewhere in the fuel pump power supply. Have you checked to see if it is functional? It could have burned out the contacts in it. If I had an early car service manual I could be more help. Good luck with it.

Mark

Reply to
Mhooks10