Help! Thermostat push-rod?!?

Hey :)

I'm relatively new to the Dub scene, and I *really* need some help...

I'm _attempting_ to replace a faulty generator, but I cannot find the end of the thermostat rod that my workshop manual says needs to be disconnected. There are no photos or diagrams in the manual to show where the end of the rod is, and I'm getting realled annoyed...

I *really* need the car back on the road by tomorrow night at the latest, but living here in good old Blighty means that everywhere I could've gone to for help was closed when I realised I was in over my head.

Any advice you can give me would be great

Cheers,

Rob

Reply to
Rob Lynn

hey Rob what you are looking for isto remove the bottom tin on the right side of the engine to expose the thermostat. there is a 13mm bolt on the bottom that holds the thermostat to the retaining bracket. once you remove the 13mm bolt you should be able to turn the thermostat off, this will allow you to remove( or pull up) the dogto get the genorator off.

hope this helps mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

First, there's a good chance you don't have one to remove. This is a view of the front of the ride side of the shroud.

http://66.225.214.60/ghia/MVC-221F.JPG Notice the empty holes? Normally there is a set of shutters inside the shroud that the rod is connected to. If yours looks like this yours have been removed.

This sequence shows installation of the shutter assembly followed by the shroud.

http://66.225.214.60/baja/MVC-127F.JPGhttp://66.225.214.60/baja/MVC-128F.JPGhttp://66.225.214.60/baja/MVC-129F.JPGhttp://66.225.214.60/baja/MVC-130F.JPGhttp://66.225.214.60/baja/MVC-131F.JPGhttp://66.225.214.60/baja/MVC-132F.JPGhttp://66.225.214.60/baja/MVC-133F.JPGhttp://66.225.214.60/baja/MVC-134F.JPGhttp://66.225.214.60/baja/MVC-135F.JPG Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Thanks guys, I'll go give it a try now!

(I may be back when it gets dark) lol

Reply to
Rob Lynn

Hmm I assume your lifting the shroud up enough to remove the generator and the little rod is holding the whole thing down. You need to look under the engine and find the removable piece of tin on the bottom passenger side (between the sump and the heat exchanger). Remove the 4? bolts to remove that plate, and then you can see the thermostat. Unscrew the bolt on the bottom of the thermostat, then unscrew the thermostat from the rod. With that done, the shroud is free. I'm sure someone out there has pics.

Hope this helped, Tim

Reply to
Tim